Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning Time

Turning Time

Well I have been home long enough to do some turning. Had a piece of poplar and decided I would do something different for me. It is a vase that is 9 1/2" across and 3 1/2" high. The walls are less than 1/4". The poplar was drab and nothing much going on so had some Transtint red dye so decided to give it a go. It has 8 light coats of lacquer. I was pleased how it turned out. The wife just fell in love with it and it is already in her curio cabinet. So guess that one is not going to be sold. I have two more that are in the finishing stage. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poplar Dyed Vase 1.jpg   Poplar Dyed Vase 2.jpg   Poplar Dyed Vase 3.jpg   Poplar Dyed Vase 4.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The aliens have landed in a red space ship.

I like it a lot too.

Bernie, do you mix up the dye solution then rub it on or are you dipping the bowl into a "vat" of dye solution, letting it soak for a while?
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Thanks for the comments.

Tom I mix the transtint with DNA. I can't give you what portion I use because I put the dye in and try it on the same scrap piece of wood till I get the color I like. I just keep putting a drop or two in till it is where I want it.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The color really added some zing to that plain ol' poplar, Bernie. The form's not one of my favorites that you've done, but what you did, you did well.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Pop goes the grain!! I think it's the mouth I'm not crazy about, but since beauty is in the eye of the beholder...your wife b-holdin it!
    What about a little black, sand it out and then the red? Hmmmmmm, you have me thinking now!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Like Mohammad said nice looking space ship. That was the first thing i though of also. It' Vaughn's fault that i keep looking for them nice curves on every piece. Really like the color, i'm gonna have to get some of that dye, as is seems to really make the wood come alive.

Thanks again. I guess I never gave a space ship a thought while turning. It was a different style and design for me. Stephan I do like the transtint dye but have used RIT dye that is used on clothing with good results also and is cheaper. I find getting the depth of color a little harder but still works.
    Bernie W.

Wow, didn't loose your touch after being away for so long Bernie! Really like that color and shape, nice work.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

That really turned out pretty and I can see why your wife grabed it. I really wasn't even excited about it until Iclicked the pictures for a closer look and than WOW! Nice job.
    "We the People ......"