Turning Time

Well I have been home long enough to do some turning. Had a piece of poplar and decided I would do something different for me. It is a vase that is 9 1/2" across and 3 1/2" high. The walls are less than 1/4". The poplar was drab and nothing much going on so had some Transtint red dye so decided to give it a go. It has 8 light coats of lacquer. I was pleased how it turned out. The wife just fell in love with it and it is already in her curio cabinet. So guess that one is not going to be sold. I have two more that are in the finishing stage. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Poplar Dyed Vase 1.jpg
    Poplar Dyed Vase 1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Poplar Dyed Vase 2.jpg
    Poplar Dyed Vase 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Poplar Dyed Vase 3.jpg
    Poplar Dyed Vase 3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Poplar Dyed Vase 4.jpg
    Poplar Dyed Vase 4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 40
Thanks for the comments.

Tom I mix the transtint with DNA. I can't give you what portion I use because I put the dye in and try it on the same scrap piece of wood till I get the color I like. I just keep putting a drop or two in till it is where I want it.

The color really added some zing to that plain ol' poplar, Bernie. :thumb: The form's not one of my favorites that you've done, but what you did, you did well.

Pop goes the grain!! I think it's the mouth I'm not crazy about, but since beauty is in the eye of the beholder...your wife b-holdin it!:D
What about a little black, sand it out and then the red? Hmmmmmm, you have me thinking now!:eek:

Thanks again. I guess I never gave a space ship a thought while turning. It was a different style and design for me. Stephan I do like the transtint dye but have used RIT dye that is used on clothing with good results also and is cheaper. I find getting the depth of color a little harder but still works.

Thanks again. Yep poplar is not the most exciting wood in the box but with dye and india ink, etc. it can become a pretty wood. I will be posting 3 more later this week after the finish drys.

Realy like the way this one turned out. The color realy grabs the eye and makes you notice it. Well done.
Dennis