Thread: Wagon wheel repair

Wagon wheel repair

My nephew took a job repairing some old wooden wagon wheels for his neighbor. Overall the wheels were in good shape, but had 3 broken spokes and part of one wheel that needed replacing that was dry-rotted.

For the wheel replacement, I had him save the outer cut-off to use as a support on the drill press when he got ready to re-drill the holes for the spokes.

I saw in one of the wood magazines a while back how to do the round tenons on squared/rectangular wood using a jig on the router. The spokes on the small end were 1" across the diagonal, so we drilled a 1" hole to spin them in. Drilled a 5/8" hole on the bottom side where the router bit would be raised into the jig.

Basically he just had to spin the spoke around and around until it bottomed out against the fence, worked like a charm.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101114_202119.jpg   IMG_20101114_182302.jpg   IMG_20101114_182056.jpg   IMG_20101114_182210.jpg   IMG_20101114_182232.jpg  

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That is one pretty neat jig
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Yeah, I would used this one again, would be good for doing tenons on chairs. His first spoke was a bit tight and I told him to sand the edges a bit to loosen it for spinning it in the jig. He took off a bit more than I expected and it was a bit sloppy, but since he's drilling new holes he can sand it down to a smaller size and drill a smaller hole for that one...that or use lots of glue.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Great tenoning jig. Saw a version on the web last year for making cedar furniture. Is this wheel going to be put to use or decorative?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Is this wheel going to be put to use or decorative?
    Pretty sure it's just decorative, had it sitting in his yard. The guy's got some neat collectibles around his place, my favorite is the 72' Dodge Charger that he bought new.
    Darren