Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoops............ I did it again.........

Whoops............ I did it again.........

Yep.......... the priest at the local Shrine, Tenjinsama called, said they were taking down part of a Keyaki tree............ do I want the wood...?

Now, I swore that I'd not get anymore of this............. but, last time I talked to the my Japanese turning buddies, they said I was "Nuts" to try drying it and then turning it, aparently, they turn it to finished size, green.......

So I'll give it a go......

Attachment 4686

Attachment 4687

Attachment 4688

Attachment 4689

Wish me luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    Last edited by Steve Clardy; 10-03-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Stu my friend that should keep you out of trouble for a day or two. Except you should be running out of room pretty quick it you keep adding.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Stu,
    you going to expand the dungeon beyond the current size?
    -Ned

I'll have these reduced to blanks in a day or two, then they take up way less space

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Stu,
    I'll bet you sleep well at night hauling and cutting logs as much as you do. I haven't seen as much of your work as other folks here but if those table legs are any indication, I'll wager that those logs will become something really beautiful one day soon. I can't wait to see what they will be.

Don

Nice haul Stu...

As I was reading the post, and looking at the pictures, I was trying to imagine how you managed to get those logs down into the dungeon. Working alone as I do, I know it's no picnic managing big heavy stuff by myself...and I don't have to go down!

Kudos!
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Well, I do have gravity working for me going down, not against me like you had all the time, going up.

The simple answer is "An Electric Hoist"

Old pic from my "Wood Lot" days, but you get the idea
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Well, I do have gravity working for me going down, not against me like you had all the time, going up.

The simple answer is "An Electric Hoist"
    Hey Stu, you definitely located your shop MUCH better than those folks that have their shop in a LOFT. Just think, you use gravity to haul down Heavy Wood, then disassemble it with a lathe, or saws and then only have light loads of sawdust, chips, or the much lighter but beautiful Finished product to haul "Uphill". Now those other folks, haul heavy wood Uphill, disassemble it, and..........well you get the picture.

Now the Big Question.............Whatcha gonna make out of all that New Green Wood???????

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Hitt View Post
    ...................Now the Big Question.............Whatcha gonna make out of all that New Green Wood???????
    Roundish stuff

Mainly bowls, smaller ones, but I also see some nice HF lurking in a few pieces

I was talking to my wife about some stuff, and as I've sold the old lathe, and my toy drill press, I'm looking really hard at the Oneway coring tool.

I figure I can double the number of bowls I make, out of the same wood, and have way less curlies coming out of the dungeon to make the garbage men upset.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward