Whoops............ I did it again.........

Stuart Ablett

Yep.......... the priest at the local Shrine, Tenjinsama called, said they were taking down part of a Keyaki tree............ do I want the wood...? :D

Now, I swore that I'd not get anymore of this............. but, last time I talked to the my Japanese turning buddies, they said I was "Nuts" to try drying it and then turning it, aparently, they turn it to finished size, green.......

So I'll give it a go...... :D

new_keyaki_stack_in_truck.jpg

new_keyaki_stack1.jpg

new_keyaki_stack2.jpg

new_keyaki_stack3.jpg

Wish me luck! ;) :)

Stu,
I'll bet you sleep well at night hauling and cutting logs as much as you do. I haven't seen as much of your work as other folks here but if those table legs are any indication, I'll wager that those logs will become something really beautiful one day soon. I can't wait to see what they will be. :thumb:

Don

Nice haul Stu... :thumb:

As I was reading the post, and looking at the pictures, I was trying to imagine how you managed to get those logs down into the dungeon. Working alone as I do, I know it's no picnic managing big heavy stuff by myself...and I don't have to go down!

Kudos!
- Marty -

Well, I do have gravity working for me going down, not against me like you had all the time, going up.

The simple answer is "An Electric Hoist" :D

hanging_around.jpg

Old pic from my "Wood Lot" days, but you get the idea :wave:

Well, I do have gravity working for me going down, not against me like you had all the time, going up.

The simple answer is "An Electric Hoist" :D

Hey Stu, you definitely located your shop MUCH better than those folks that have their shop in a LOFT. Just think, you use gravity to haul down Heavy Wood, then disassemble it with a lathe, or saws and then only have light loads of sawdust, chips, or the much lighter but beautiful Finished product to haul "Uphill". Now those other folks, haul heavy wood Uphill, disassemble it, and..........well you get the picture.:thumb: :D

Now the Big Question.............Whatcha gonna make out of all that New Green Wood???????:huh: :dunno: :D

...................Now the Big Question.............Whatcha gonna make out of all that New Green Wood???????:huh: :dunno: :D

Roundish stuff :D

Mainly bowls, smaller ones, but I also see some nice HF lurking in a few pieces :thumb:

I was talking to my wife about some stuff, and as I've sold the old lathe, and my toy drill press, I'm looking really hard at the Oneway coring tool.

I figure I can double the number of bowls I make, out of the same wood, and have way less curlies coming out of the dungeon to make the garbage men upset.

:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Well, I got some more processed..........

.........when this one opened up, I just had to take a pic of it......... :D
neat_grain.jpg
.........now does that look cool or what? :thumb:

keyaki_ne_long_side.jpg
I got tired of cutting stuff with Big Blue, so I turned this small chunk as a Natural Edge (NE)

keyaki_ne_short_side.jpg
except for the base it is finished turning, see how this works out. After it is dry, I'll sand it and turn the base.

keyaki_ne_inside.jpg
Hope this works, as there is some WILD grain in some of these pieces! :wave:

Cheers!

That's pretty Neat Stu, and you sure got a clean cut all around that natural edge. Hope it holds up during the drying period as it's sure got some nice straight grain running through it.

I look at a tree in a totally different way since I've started following your adventures Stu. :thumb:

DT