Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Max brush sander

Super Max brush sander

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking for some first hand knowledge on the superbrush built by SuperMax tools. I've got my eye on one and would love to either dialog with someone on the forum or even better speak to someone by phone who has or has used one of these machines. I would love to use one to finish sand doors and molding as well as sand after the first coat of sealer. Thanks in advance for any replies that I might get.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Help to know more of what yer talking about.
    Pics?
    OK, OK, I'll Google it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well here's one review I found on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpo9R1vjoOI
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

From that UTube review it looks very poorly thought out and chintzy made. On top of that, the $4,000.00 price seems way over the top.
    Just from that video, I couldn't find anything to recommend it over the many belt style sanders on the market.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    From that UTube review it looks very poorly thought out and chintzy made. On top of that, the $4,000.00 price seems way over the top.
    Just from that video, I couldn't find anything to recommend it over the many belt style sanders on the market.
    About the only advantage I can see to the SuperMax is that it could sand into the contours on molding pieces. I sure don't see $4K worth of value there, though!

It would seem that the same type of head could be adapted to a Performax® sander for a lot less money. Maybe Jet (who now own Performax®) should give that idea some consideration. If a 22/44 Jet Performax can be had for around a thousand bucks, one with a brush head shouldn't be much - if any - more expensive.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Looking at this I am wondering if the edges of the boards remain crisp ? or would the sanded cause rounding of the them ? 4 K not worth maybe a full table sander maybe.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

When I see poorly thought out design like the knuckle buster handles and moving bed I get concerned that other elements that cannot be seen might be equally disastrous.
    Especially since you can buy something like this:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-W...pen-End-/G9983
    or this:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-W...le-Phase/G0527
    in the same price range.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    The advantage to the Brush sander is it can do curves pieces as I see it which a drum sander couldn't but as someone mentioned there must be a way to get the brushes and adapt then to fit on something like a Performex/Jet
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

This machine is NOT designed to sand like a drum sander or widebelt. I already have the widebelt covered. It is designed to denib the material and break the edges of molding so that finishing materials will adhere and flow better. It is also designed for sanding contours like door edges and raised panel recesses and sanding the sealer coat.

Thanks for posting the info on that youtube video, that gives me a little more knowledge and for some reason I hadn't found that one yet. I hate knucle busters and chincy hardware.

Still thinking this one over but if I do I'm gonna get the 36" model to work over the face frames and cabinet doors as well as sanding our molding.

I appreciate your comments and would love to hear from someone who is a user of this machine.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Jim, this is not an answer to your question but a suggestion of an alternative approach.

I saw this sander at a woodworking show and it looked like just the thing to be able to push through all sorts of items with moulding or routing details and not have them distorted.

You build your own and for way less than $4k

I have no connection with this guy or his company and have never used this item. I have used the drill press mounted sanding mop.

Here is the kit for the unit but you have to buy a motor and a few other things too. The kit is $289 .

Just an alternative idea for you. You can buy one heck of a lot of sandpaper for the difference and if you into doing production you could make yourself some dedicated jigs with various head configurations that suite what you want and provide rapid dedicated setups for thicknesses that you use most often.

You would have to call them to discuss your needs thats about as much as I know. Maybe someone here has used this product and can comment.
    cheers