Super Max brush sander

Jim Hager

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking for some first hand knowledge on the superbrush built by SuperMax tools. I've got my eye on one and would love to either dialog with someone on the forum or even better speak to someone by phone who has or has used one of these machines. I would love to use one to finish sand doors and molding as well as sand after the first coat of sealer. Thanks in advance for any replies that I might get.

From that UTube review it looks very poorly thought out and chintzy made. On top of that, the $4,000.00 price seems way over the top.
Just from that video, I couldn't find anything to recommend it over the many belt style sanders on the market.

From that UTube review it looks very poorly thought out and chintzy made. On top of that, the $4,000.00 price seems way over the top.
Just from that video, I couldn't find anything to recommend it over the many belt style sanders on the market.

About the only advantage I can see to the SuperMax is that it could sand into the contours on molding pieces. I sure don't see $4K worth of value there, though!

It would seem that the same type of head could be adapted to a Performax® sander for a lot less money. Maybe Jet (who now own Performax®) should give that idea some consideration. If a 22/44 Jet Performax can be had for around a thousand bucks, one with a brush head shouldn't be much - if any - more expensive.

This machine is NOT designed to sand like a drum sander or widebelt. I already have the widebelt covered. It is designed to denib the material and break the edges of molding so that finishing materials will adhere and flow better. It is also designed for sanding contours like door edges and raised panel recesses and sanding the sealer coat.

Thanks for posting the info on that youtube video, that gives me a little more knowledge and for some reason I hadn't found that one yet. I hate knucle busters and chincy hardware.

Still thinking this one over but if I do I'm gonna get the 36" model to work over the face frames and cabinet doors as well as sanding our molding.

I appreciate your comments and would love to hear from someone who is a user of this machine.

Jim, this is not an answer to your question but a suggestion of an alternative approach.

I saw this sander at a woodworking show and it looked like just the thing to be able to push through all sorts of items with moulding or routing details and not have them distorted.

You build your own and for way less than $4k

I have no connection with this guy or his company and have never used this item. I have used the drill press mounted sanding mop.

Here is the kit for the unit but you have to buy a motor and a few other things too. The kit is $289 .

Just an alternative idea for you. You can buy one heck of a lot of sandpaper for the difference and if you into doing production you could make yourself some dedicated jigs with various head configurations that suite what you want and provide rapid dedicated setups for thicknesses that you use most often.

You would have to call them to discuss your needs thats about as much as I know. Maybe someone here has used this product and can comment.

supermax.

Jim,

I have had the supermax 37" double drum sander for quite a few years. Supermax does not make cheap machines , I had great responses from the company and loved the sander. I upgraded to a wide belt sander this year. the supermax's are american made {still I believe.}. I have heard lots of great things about the brush sanders. We have a small air brush sander that we knock down small parts with that works great. It leaves a polished finish. Best of luck with your purchase.

cheers.

If you get one let me know how you like it. I have been lookin at one.

Rob, Your link is for a mop sander. They work good for moldings. I have one on my woodmaster and I use it for when we are running moldings.

Well guys I got my superbrush yesterday and only had time to get an outlet installed and kick it on for a few minutes this morning. We had to finish a kitchen installation so I didn't have time to fool with it much. At first glance I believe it will be just the ticket to help us speed up our process and likely improve what we are doing a good little bit. I'll try to do a full review of the machine later on. Right now I'd just say it is overpriced but looks well built so we'll see how we get along with it.

Well guys I got my superbrush yesterday and only had time to get an outlet installed and kick it on for a few minutes this morning. We had to finish a kitchen installation so I didn't have time to fool with it much. At first glance I believe it will be just the ticket to help us speed up our process and likely improve what we are doing a good little bit. I'll try to do a full review of the machine later on. Right now I'd just say it is overpriced but looks well built so we'll see how we get along with it.

I'm curious as to how it does with doors. A shop I worked at had a random orbit Timesaver, basically a giant platen that oscillated. It also had a "flapper" head on it, but it was never used as it would destroy the profiles that were perpendicular to the rotation. It was too aggressive.

Mouldings and stuff like that I think it'd probably be a good way to go. Hope it works out well for you.