compound stave miter jig

Do you mean like for making barrels? As in cooperage?
Those would have tapered ends plus the angle cut on the sides. I'm guessing no plans are available.
Once, on the Roy Underhill show he had a cooper demonstrating how to cut the staves and shape them with a draw knife.
Roy asked how he got the right angles and such. The answer was to "just cut them until they look right." :huh:

The latest version of ShopNotes has a pretty nice looking taper jib on page 36.

Here's a picture of it. The magazine has a lot of details on how to build it. Might be worth picking up if you like it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• taperjig.jpg
    taperjig.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 518
I am not sure if this will be helpful or not. There are several router bits that will make the correct bevel or 6, 8 and 12 sided vesels or in my case Octagonal Hollow core Oars. One end is Octagonal and the oar transitions in to a cylinder and then in to an elipse to stiffen behind the oar blade.

Masts and spars on sail boats are made this way sometimes. As far as holding the staves and tapering them, that is pretty simple. Just make something like the other guys have shown you.

First run the parallel boards past the correct router bit to get what ever angle you want then put the piece on the taper board and taper the opposite side.

Here are the pictures of my oars and jigs to make them I used epoxy to glue them together. Initially, They were 10'6" long, I have since cut them down to 9'6" for one pair and 9' for the other. Total cost to make two sets of spoon blade oars was about $30. for the wood. The octagonal bit was about $40 also.

http://sports.webshots.com/album/366127989OQvvXQ

Nice oars, Tom.

I did a birdsmouth gaff for the sailboat I built. Very neat way to make a light, strong hollow spar. i made an Excel based calculator for determining the size of the staves based on diameter and desired wall thickness. With that method of construction you can make oval sections that transition to round as well as single and double tapers.

A contributer to the Wooden Boat Forum, Joel Herzel, wrote an article for an old now out of print boating mag. It was on this method of making birdsmouth oars. He sent me the whole article as well as some poor pics of the process. I took my own pics and have the article, which gives you the multiplier to make the staves for any size spar or mast or oar. His method is simplicity itself. If any one would like a copy of the article. Please email me direct.

Tom...