how to question...

larry merlau

you have a table saw and a mitre saw, you need to cut off 4 table legs and make them 2" longer than before. they are tapered on 4 sides.. how would you go about the operation???

new thought.. yu also have a lathe... not sure if its long enough though.. between cntrs...

so give me your thoughts on how to cut this and add on a new piece..

All I can think of are:

1) Use a scarf joint in the middle. Probably would be ugly and weak.
2) Cut part of the top or bottom into a thick tenon and fit that into a mortise in another longer piece. Done right you might be able to make it look like they were 'design' choices
3) New legs?

once again, the amateur will keep this simple since I lack the skills most have here.
I would hand cut them off as close to the table top as possible.
Then use the mitre saw to get them all exact length.
Leaving the tapered bottoms ends alone, I would cut identical thickness for top of legs, as much length as you need,(if they arent round on top), and just center a dowel screw in each leg and glue the original bottom tapered piece and the new piece. Once it dries, either re-taper only maybe a 1/16th if necessary to have them all match up, or just sand down and the added piece will blend in if its same wood grain.

Surely he must just be looking for ideas to give some advice to someone else...

Larry I figured it out for ya. You can take the legs and put one on the lath get the center, cut the 2" off while spinning. Think that will work?

yup i am and the culprit has entered in the conversation:) i was tyhinking of adding the extra to the top as well allen..and witha good sized tenon might just the ticket but we will see how dave decided to do it:) i knew he needed help and his big tool arsenal is limited :) so if it were at my place i had it solved but not at his:) the lathe was my best thought..as well dave but getting the tenon or dowel hles drilled mught be touchy.. now good way to chuck it up:dunno::dunno:

and he needs to take pictures

...but getting the tenon or dowel hles drilled mught be touchy...

Adding just 2 inches? Line up the twp pieces, clamp in place, and just drill and dowel all the way through the added 2" into the top of the leg from above. It won't matter if things are centered, as long as the two pieces themselves are aligned.

And see...no lathe involved. :D

Still waiting to see the pics.
You said that the legs are tapered all the way down…… really?
Does that mean there is no skirting under the table between the tops of the legs? If the top few inches are straight and if there is skirting between the tops of the legs under the table top I would suggest not messing with the tops of the legs. I think adding a square piece that is the same size as the bottom of the of the tapered leg would be easy enough, but I would suggest mocking it up and standing back to take a gander it might look odd. You could also use a contrasting color on the extention piece to make it fit in.
I think continuing the taper down the leg to the extention piece could be a problem. The foot of the leg could become too small and look odd…?
Of course a turned extended foot of a contrasting color could be very cool as well

this is in daves shop i cant take pics,, and as i remeber it i think th etop is the best place for the extension the aprons do fit into the legs and so it will take some hand work to get the fit back.. the coloring to match is a walk in the park for dave:) i agree we dont want to touch the bottom of the legs if we can help it.. are yu listening dave we are tryun to get threw to you:rofl: knock knock are yu there:rofl: