Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: router bits in a shaper?

router bits in a shaper?

ok chuck, brought up a good question, why not use router bits in a shaper?
    is the 10,ooo rpm not enough to use smaller bits in a shaper? is there anyone out here that has done it, and if so what is your opinion on the outcome? what tooling is needed to get the shaper to accept the router bits?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I never tried the procedure myself - but - if it could be done successfully and well, IMHO everyone would be doing it.

Isn't shaper speed much faster than that of a router and the disintegration of router bits at shaper speeds is a serious safety issue.

I'm sure that other members will jump in and offer more concrete answers.

Walt in CT

I have not DONE it, but I plan to DO it when I get a shaper - at least until I can afford to replace the router bits with cutters.

Based on what I have researched:

There is an adaptor that is used on the shaper for router bits.
    The shaper runs slower than the router, so there should be no issue with exploding router bits on a shaper due to speed.
    Router bits won't last as long as cutters.

Hopefully, someone has real experience to report on.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mearkle View Post
    ...Isn't shaper speed much faster than that of a router and the disintegration of router bits at shaper speeds is a serious safety issue....Walt in CT
    Actually, Walt, it's the other way around. Shapers run at around 10,000 rpm, and routers at 25,000 rpm.

Using router bits in a shaper means you'll have to feed the stock much slower and/or take much smaller cuts. One router bit type that does work very well in a shaper, though, is the large diameter panel raising bits. You generally have to slow a router way down to use them anyway, so the slower speed of a shaper isn't a problem with them.

Having said all that, I must qualify the statements by admitting that I've only used smaller shapers - like 1 hp ones with or 1" shafts. I have no experience with the bigger, multi-horsepower monsters. I do find them kinda scary, though...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I see a twinkle in Larrys eyes here. Weighing up the differences eh Larry. Router lift and possibly new router versus nice new shaper ?
    Go on confess to your thinking.
    cheers

so what do i need to get to make the shaper accept the router bits jim.. i am just looking at raising panels like yu mentioned.. i have a 3/4" spindle now and i think they make a router bit spindle for it.. or o could just do it on the router again???

I don't know if that is possible as I think the shapers have an arbor like that on a table saw that the cutter heads slide onto and then tightened down. Rather than the router bits that have a shaft attached to the cutters that slide into a collet to be tightened down.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    so what do i need to get to make the shaper accept the router bits jim.. i am just looking at raising panels like yu mentioned.. i have a 3/4" spindle now and i think they make a router bit spindle for it.. or o could just do it on the router again???
    The shaper I used had replaceable spindles, and it sounds like that's what you have, too.

On Grizzly's web page, they have a router adapter for their 1.5hp shapers for $49.95. You might look into that, too.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

well jim, i could do that then i was just looking to see if it would make sense to do so.. if the profile is differnt then i will just get a cutter to match it..i am sure the shaper will accept that other spindle. i already have a 3/4" spindle for the smaller cutters out there.

I do it all the time. Very small bits, like veining bits or 1/8 inch roundovers, need the faster speed. At 1/4 inch roundover I have both shaper cutters and router bits, and choice depends on what is in the shaper and amount of use. Larger bits are fine in the shaper. I have been warned about bits overheating since the chips, that carry away the heat, aren't thrown as efficiently.

For reference, I have two 5 hp shapers and no router table. See my web page explaining www.solowoodworker.com/tools/shaper.html
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com