Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue question?

Glue question?

ok this is a actual experience i had and was wondering if i am alone in this observation or if i had faulty glue..

i had a test piece glued up using tite bond 2 or 3 the brown looking stuff in a green bottle, exterior application glue..anyway i took and glued up some scrap edge to edge and flat to flat and then tried to separate it after a couple hours it took a littel effort but came apart and didnt take much if any surface wood with it??? basically just the glue separated in itself..so after the 24 hrs i tried it agin on another piece and it held better but still parted..that would never happen for me with tite bond 1.. but the longer open time was needed to maintain my sanity and i got hat but am curious and doubtful on the strength factor of the other type of tite bond .. so has anyone had similar trouble or am i just having bad glue times???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    if it was Brown ?? it wasn't tight bond II so musta been tight bond III. I is yellow II is a little orange and III tends to be on the brown side. I have used all 3 along with Elmers pro and my experience has been that the wood will fail before the glue so ya probubly had old glue or the surface was contaminated before you glued it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Larry i have used that Titebond Glue if the bottle top is green its is titebond 3 and have had no issues with it.

What you might want to do is just look through this pdf attached it covers all the specs for the glue and make sure you were within the parameters of the glue. Something might just pop out at you. Like what was the temp when you did the glue?

See attached
    UltimateIIITB.pdf
    cheers

I don't like the T III. Ugly and less than dependable.
    What is a good glue that dries colorless?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I wonder if it is old glue as I think it only has a 1 year self life, including on how long it sat on the store shelf before your shelf. I have tried the breakage test on TB I & II with the wood giving before the glued joint, but have not tried on TB III.

I used to be tempted to buy glue in the gallon jugs, but figured out I didn't go through it fast enough to make it worth while...

well i will get rid iof it then cause it could easily be ayear old now the tie bond 1 i have added water to before and it came back fine.. but this stuff just didnt feel right..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yeah look at the spec 12 months only if you store it at 75 F and in tightly sealed containers.

Brent thats what i nearly did too but it aint worth the waste.
    cheers

Glad you did this test. I personally try not to keep any glue around that is a year old or that has been close to freezing. The freezing part is a little difficult for me as I only heat my shop when I am in it. It is insulated (foam) so I usually only have to worry about Jan and Feb months.

I use it all the time and never had a problem. I glue parts on the kayaks with it sometimes because of the water and if it fails it would/could be bad. But never had a joint fail.

I didn't know about the shelf life but I use a lot of it so I probably never had one a year. Will start watching that though.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits