Thread: Offering Plates in Oak

Yorktown, Virginia

Offering Plates in Oak

A set of four donated to a small church in Williamsburg, Va. A former co-worker called and asked if I would help them out with turned offering plates for their new church. They wanted them in Oak to match their furniture. Coincidentally, a neighbor took down two large oak trees and offered me the wood. Most went to the firewood pile, but I saved enough to do these. They are roughly 12" x 2" and were rough turned, DNA soaked for several days, wrapped in several layers of newspaper and dried in my 100 degree plus attic for a couple of months. Five coats of Waterlox after finish turning, then buffed with white diamond and renaissance waxed. The third pic, which shows a recess in the bottom, was the sample plate and the church folks opted to leave it off the rest of the plates since they will be putting a felt pad in the bottom to muffle the sound of coins.
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 11-17-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Reno, Nv
    Those are great Ted...nothing else to be said...good purpose, well made and anyone would welcome them. I keep looking at 'em...finish is just off the hook!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Delton, Michigan
    those bark inclusions really set those off ted looks like the churches around are doing pretty good, they gettin new offering plates every where
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Ted great looking plates. I have two more drying as we speak. They will be turned this weekend and are made out of black gum crotch. hope they turn out as nice as yours.

Goodland, Kansas
    Ted those are beauties. Really well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ABQ NM
    Those look great, Ted. Like I said to Steve about some he did recently, I not only like the offering plates, I'm impressed by how well they match. I'm pretty bad at making more than one of anything, so I admire those who can turn duplicates.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Central Illinois
    Very nice, Ted. I like the flowing lines.

Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"