Offering Plates in Oak

Ted Calver

Staff member
A set of four donated to a small church in Williamsburg, Va. A former co-worker called and asked if I would help them out with turned offering plates for their new church. They wanted them in Oak to match their furniture. Coincidentally, a neighbor took down two large oak trees and offered me the wood. Most went to the firewood pile, but I saved enough to do these. They are roughly 12" x 2" and were rough turned, DNA soaked for several days, wrapped in several layers of newspaper and dried in my 100 degree plus attic for a couple of months. Five coats of Waterlox after finish turning, then buffed with white diamond and renaissance waxed. The third pic, which shows a recess in the bottom, was the sample plate and the church folks opted to leave it off the rest of the plates since they will be putting a felt pad in the bottom to muffle the sound of coins.

Attachments

• PLATE-2 (Medium).JPG
    PLATE-2 (Medium).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 35
  • PLATES-4 (Medium).jpg
    PLATES-4 (Medium).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 40
  • PLATE-3 (Medium).JPG
    PLATE-3 (Medium).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Those are great Ted...nothing else to be said...good purpose, well made and anyone would welcome them. I keep looking at 'em...finish is just off the hook:thumb::thumb:! :clap::highfive:

Those look great, Ted. Like I said to Steve about some he did recently, I not only like the offering plates, I'm impressed by how well they match. I'm pretty bad at making more than one of anything, so I admire those who can turn duplicates. :thumb: