Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much of your shop time do you spend cleaning or tidying up?

How much of your shop time do you spend cleaning or tidying up?

I try to keep a somewhat neat and clean area to work, but it seems Im spending more time with the shop vac and putting things away and back in their place than I am actually working a piece.
    Do you clean up everytime you work, once a week, once a month, or just wait till youre knee deep in tools and stuff and let the wind blow the sawdust out of the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I try to keep a somewhat neat and clean area to work, but it seems Im spending more time with the shop vac and putting things away and back in their place than I am actually working a piece.
    Do you clean up everytime you work, once a week, once a month, or just wait till youre knee deep in tools and stuff and let the wind blow the sawdust out of the shop?
    yes
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Actually, I generally sweep up at the end of the work day... I keep tools where they are supposed to be when I'm not using them or else I'll spend too much time looking for them.. and unfortunately, I have a closed shop and the wind isn't much help.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I tend to work until my bench is full, then clean it up. I do try to keep my work area open and free, but it doesn't usually go that way. I also often have lots of shavings on the floor, which I sweep up some of the time.

Not often enough, and not thorough enough...

I think my problem is the amount of 'stuff' in the shop exceeds the available space to put it, so I probably spend more time re-arranging stuff rather than putting it away...

I've been trying for 3 weeks to get the shop cleaned up after getting the OSB up on the finishing room. Thought for sure this past weekend. LOML keeps having other thoughts. But I'm not working on anything until I get all the OSB cuttings from using the jig saw and circular saw. It's a mess and very slick. Did get a new light up last weekend in the finishing room. Took the old T12 8 footer down and now need to get rid of the bulbs and fixture. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Once I started a small stack in the shop, it was all over. Need to get back in gear and finish more shelves and get things organized.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Clean Shop???
    Jesus was a Woodworker

To answer your question Allen I clean up after I'm done working in my shop for the day. It takes about 10 minutes to put tools away and sweep or vacum up any mess. I find that sometimes the next time I'm in the shop I might not be working on the same project and it lets me get going quicker on the project at hand. Loml hates it cause I can tell when she has been in my stuff since she can never put it back the same way.

And for the record I was never like this till I got my cyclone and dust collection system set up. Doing this one thing makes it so much easier to keep it clean and organized.

I'm kind of a clean nut. I try and clean up the dust off the machine and floor after every operation. Besides, if I track dust and chips upstairs the lady of the house yells at me.
    Faith, Hope & Charity