How much of your shop time do you spend cleaning or tidying up?

After two weeks I have to spend 1/2 to 1 hour cleaning, vacuuming and putting stuff away. Since we don't have an attic or basement a lot of the putting away is stuff transitioning in and out of the house (camping, xmas/easter/fall ornaments, seasonal clothing, garage sale stuff... thanks honey.)

Allen i clean up often and sometimes just for the heck of it if i dont feel like doing anything or need to get to a more relaxed state before taking on the next step.

At school i got canned several times each month when we were taught industrial arts. (That was metal shop and wood shop). It was always because tools were not back where i had taken them from. Our teach had a shadow board, where the outline of every single tool was painted in orange. End of lesson before we left the room, if he saw orange we all got it on the one for all, all for one basis.

Since this is my shop i have less pressure but it built in habits hard way to teach them i guess.

So nowdays when i am done for the day i leave the mess. Then before i go at it the next time i clean up. Sort of reverse but when i leave i have had enough or am being rushed to get cleaned up to go to somewhere.

I think Alan has a real good point about getting set up so the dust collector does the work properly and Glenns way to me is the only way that i aspire to achieve.

Since my workshop is also the 3rd bay of the 3 car garage attached to my house (which by the way I park 2 cars in each night) - it's pretty important to me that I thoroughly clean up my mess each day. I'm also in the habit of putting away my tools as I finish with them.

The more I think about it, I tend to sweep and clean up through out the day too. I guess I find a mess distracting and ultimately, counter productive to the limited time I have to work on projects. I've often wondered if given the luxury of a dedicated shop would I be as retentive about cleanliness? I certainly hope to find out some day!

at the end of every work day I clean up good or the cats get in and use the place for a litter box............

First good reason I've ever heard to own a cat :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I almost always clean up for about 15 minutes at the end of my working time, in 15 minutes I can put most everything away and vacuum the floor. My shop it small, I can make it a heck of a mess in a short time but I can also clean it up spiffy in just as short a time, I really DO NOT have the space in my shop for a mess. :dunno:

That pretty much describes me, too.

me too but i try to clean up before starting the next major project..need to to find the tools:) also if company is coming i need to get things tidied up some but that depends on who it is rennie is family and so i know i cant be as clean as his is and ken well he is just like me its not in the way its fine so i had to make a impression him and cleaned it up so he would feel specail:D:D