Went to the optometrist today...

Dan Gonzales

Went to the optometrist today. I've always had poor eyesight but today it was "Hello bifocals!"

As I was telling a friend about dealing with that, he commented on how thick my eyeglasses are and asked me about the severity of my compromised vision.

I truthfully told him I have to sleep with my eyeglasses on or I can't see my dreams. :rolleyes:

Cheers all!

The bifocals (er..."progressive lenses") these days are pretty cool. It didn't take me very long at all to adjust to them, and there's no line on my glasses to make the hot girls think I'm an old guy. (They have other ways of knowing that, anyway.)

I feel your pain, Dan. I thought I was fine, a real bigshot, right up until I went to renew my driver's license and had to take an eye test....and couldn't read *anything* out of one eye. Turns out I'm nearsighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other......so I've got bifocals....or graduated lenses, thanks Vaughn...and astigmatism, thanks Don, that too. I used to work for an eye doctor when I was young......BTW, I'm allowed to drive without glasses, but if I get a piece of dust in the wrong eye....:eek: :rofl: :p

i tried to go with the progressive bifocals, but there was and area about a quarter of an inch that was good for close up stuff. working with computers, i had to see the whole screen. the funny thing is when i was able to focus on part of the screen, if i blinked, or moved my head, i had to spend time finding the focus spot again. finally i had them redo my glasses to an all up close prescription. now i can see the whole screen, without worrying about missing something.

i tried to go with the progressive bifocals, but there was and area about a quarter of an inch that was good for close up stuff. working with computers, i had to see the whole screen. the funny thing is when i was able to focus on part of the screen, if i blinked, or moved my head, i had to spend time finding the focus spot again. finally i had them redo my glasses to an all up close prescription. now i can see the whole screen, without worrying about missing something.

Yeah, Dan, you're totally right about that. I had close-up glasses made for just close-up work, but the graduated ones are good for the everyday stuff: driving, food shopping, shopping at LV ;)

That's great Don, but a person can't do that if each eye is different. I'd have to buy those drugstore glasses and take one lens out. That would be stylish! :rofl:

well yu could just say that the other eye is blind so your saving money cynthia:)

i too have the problem with those darn progressive lense got one set and they are junk for me,,tryin to read a letter i can only focus on 1/4 of it at best..so i got the up close ones and can see the other stuff naturally..

I have had fogals for several years now. Went from no glasses to double lens in one shot. When my eyes went, they went quick. They haven't changed in 5 or 6 years so I guess that is a good thing.

The bifocals (er..."progressive lenses") these days are pretty cool. It didn't take me very long at all to adjust to them, and there's no line on my glasses to make the hot girls think I'm an old guy. (They have other ways of knowing that, anyway.)

I have worn them for decades :thumb: Excellant way to go, a little more $$ but worth it.

They set them up for driving, reading, and computer focuses... just adjust your neck to focus on each. No lines to alter the vision, etc.

I knew a carpenter (dead nowdays) who had his set up so that he could see (focus in on) overhead nail driving. He was a finisher and often nailed molding over doors and windows as well as baseboards... (Up and Down focusing)

well bill, i must have had a poor set of progressives then because there was no way i would trust them to be straight or hit a nail.. they were to much tunnel vision..

well bill, i must have had a poor set of progressives then because there was no way i would trust them to be straight or hit a nail.. they were to much tunnel vision..

I tried them, but went back to the lined trifocals.

With the progressives, straight lines were distorted. I could look at a ruler, and the edge would have a curve to it. Not good in the shop, for sure!

BTW, Dan, if your eyes deteriorate like mine did, you're only a couple years away from TRI-focals. I went from single vision to bifocal to trifocal over a span of just two years. 'Twernt fun, either - not to mention expensive!

Went from no glasses to tri focals about four years ago I guess it has been. Use yellow safety glasses in my home shop as I take my glasses off once I walk in the door. Night driving I wear them also. Got the impact lenses so at school I don't have to wear two pair at the same time!

I have to sleep with my eyeglasses on or I can't see my dreams.

Dan:

I'm stealing that line :rofl::rofl:

I have astigmatism and I'm nearsighted. How nearsighted are you?

I'm so nearsighted when I lose the little screw holding the lenses into my frames, I can't hold them close enough to my eyes to reassemble them.

My friend at work laughs at me when this happens, but he had RK 15 years ago and he's wearing thicker and thicker glasses every year.

The saving grace is the EVERYTHING beyond the tip of my nose is distance.

My prescription hasn't changed in 3 years, but if it does get any worse they will be asking if I prefer a Labrador or Shepherd instead of bi-focals or tri-focals.

Cheers

Jim

I have astigmatism and I'm nearsighted. How nearsighted are you?

I am very nearsighted (myopic) and also astigmatic. I have worn glasses since 2nd grade, I feel naked without them. My natural focus point is about two inches in front of my nose. I suspected I would be needing bifocal/transition lenses because I was taking my glasses off to read very tiny text. Oh well.