Went to the optometrist today...

Had perfect vision till I was 40 then i developed asignatism (sp??) then when I turned 50 my arms got to shoert to it was time for the second part of my lenses. Hopefully I can avoid a third perscription...lol

You better hope you get to need a third power because the only way you can avoid it is to die.

Think about that and enjoy,

Jim

As you get older your ability to control your focus drops off. It actually started about age 12. But you really didn't care if you could only focus up to 4 inches from your eyeballs instead of three and a half inches.

However, 4 inches becomes 5 and 5 becomes 6 and you still don't care. However when the nearest you can focus is 16 inches you suddenly notice that you have to hold things a little further away to see detail. That's when bifocals get entered into your life (age 43 and a half is the most common age to notice this).

Myrna just called dinner. Guess we will see if this will hold or vanish. On second thought I will send it and come back and add an edit later.

Enjoy

What it all boils down to: When you are young and wearing your distance glasses if you need them, you can see clearly from about 3 inches to the moon. As you age your ability to control your focus diminishes. If you are typical, how close you can focus has moved out far enough to bother your reading and other close tasks in your early 40s. You get glasses for close (bifocal or just reading glasses).

Since you are still alive, your ability to focus close becomes more difficult and you need a stronger reading Rx. The stronger Rx creates a shorter depth of field (photography people and optical people will know what that means). (Very brief: The stronger the lens the smaller the distance between how close it will focus and how far). At the same time, how close you can see through the top of the bifocals is moving away. How far away you can see through the bifocal is moving closer.

At a certain point (1.50 diopter difference between top and bottom bifocal powers) how far out you can see with the bifoclal and how near you can see through the top, no longer meet. This presents a blurred area. This blur is around arm's length (typical computer screen distance, end of screwdriver, head of nail, tip of gouge, etc.). A bit of time goes by and this situation drives you nuts so you go to the optometrist and he/she prescribes a third power to fill in the gap.

A lens to do that has two lines instead of the one line in a bifocal. There are newer lenses called Progressive Addition Lenses (PAL) that also solve the problem. For most people and most tasks the PALs work fine. If you have always had vision better than 20/20 (corrected or not) and you do detailed vision tasks you will notice that the PALs are not as quite as clear as the old two-line (trifocal) lenses.

My vision was always much sharper than 20/20. When I was in optometry school my sharpnes of distance vision was tested by about half of the PhDs in the world (there were only a couple dozen of them at that time). I was off of the theoretical chart. 20/8 was considered the limit. The 20/8 person can read at 20 feet, what the 20/20 person has to move up to 8 feet to read. I was better than that by a bit. I could read a freeway sign almost 4 times as far away as a 20/20 person.

So what happened is that each of these doctors thought that the other docs didn't do it right and they would test me---and get the same answer. All of the stuff was leading up to the next statement. I far prefer the trifocals to the PALs because, even at age 85 I see so much better with the trifocal than the PAL. There is a new method of making lenses, they are not molded nor are they ground; they are sculped using a laser. I have only tried two of these new lenses in the progressive form. I found one to be very good, the other was nothing to brag about. However, either of the two was better than the molded PALs.

Good Grief---it's shut up time again Bradley.
Now you can see why Carol Reed and I didn't get much looking at shop time---we were talking.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
well bill, i must have had a poor set of progressives then because there was no way i would trust them to be straight or hit a nail.. they were to much tunnel vision..

A progressive lens is made by blending curves. What I am about to say is such an over simplification as to be rediculous...however it is basically true.

If you have a lens that is focused for the moon and you take the inside curve (starting about the middle of the lens) and make it more steeply curved you are adding plus power to that portion of the lens. You have just created an extremely simple progressive lens. The progression is a constant change in curve, and in a PAL the change in curve is in all directions from the sweet-spot (the best near Rx portion of the lens).

Thus, if you were to take a photograph with that lens (Photo, so your brain can't play tricks on you) you would see all kinds of curved lines (especially if you were photographing graph-paper or a bunch of sky-scrapers). You would see one area clearer than the rest of the photo because that area was the best focus for that distance.

I sure wish I could draw pictures on this thing.

If any of you are interested just take two semesters of Geometric Optics preceeded by algebra, geometry, spherical geometry, analytical geometry and a couple other higher level math courses.
I can't believe I did all of that stuff.

Enjoy,

Jim

A progressive lens is made by blending curves. What I am about to say is such an over simplification as to be rediculous...however it is basically true.

If you have a lens that is focused for the moon and you take the inside curve (starting about the middle of the lens) and make it more steeply curved you are adding plus power to that portion of the lens. You have just created an extremely simple progressive lens. The progression is a constant change in curve, and in a PAL the change in curve is in all directions from the sweet-spot (the best near Rx portion of the lens).

Thus, if you were to take a photograph with that lens (Photo, so your brain can't play tricks on you) you would see all kinds of curved lines (especially if you were photographing graph-paper or a bunch of sky-scrapers). You would see one area clearer than the rest of the photo because that area was the best focus for that distance.

I sure wish I could draw pictures on this thing.

If any of you are interested just take two semesters of Geometric Optics preceeded by algebra, geometry, spherical geometry, analytical geometry and a couple other higher level math courses.
I can't believe I did all of that stuff.

Enjoy,

Jim

:huh::dunno:

...When I was in optometry school my sharpnes of distance vision was tested by about half of the PhDs in the world (there were only a couple dozen of them at that time)...

Probably took a while for all of them to get there to examine you, considering they were on horseback and all that. :p

...Good Grief---it's shut up time again Bradley...

On the contrary. ;) I learned more practical knowledge in three minutes of reading your two posts than I would in a semester at college. Don't worry about writing too much. If someone doesn't want to read a post, they don't have to, but those of us who do want to read it, don't want to miss out on your stories. :thumb: :D

jim i will never tire of your insight on sight and life in general.. its like listening to my grandpa that has long past on.. i would do many good to listen to our elders be it family or friends..they do have wisdom and we can all use more of that in some form or another:) thanks jim for enlightening us on the lenses

Well all this talk I had an Ah-ha moment. While at the store I picked up one of the string things that attach to the arms. Now when I take them off I don't loose them. Still hanging around my neck for the next time.