Cracking in Vessels

I love these vessels/vases/goblets that I see you'all turn, but I'm wondering if there are issues with them cracking over time?

Carol, if you read this, no I'm not taking up turning. Just want to learn about it.

I mean bowls and other pieces of "art" can be full of cracks, no problem and they're lovely, but if I want goblets to drink out of, then it's a problem if the Koolaid runs down my chin......:D

Is cracking something I would have to worry about if I had a set of those goblets? I live in a damp climate, so they wouldn't dry out here.

Cynthia sounds to me like it is time to get a lathe so you can try some of these things.:rofl:

On goblets I finish the insides of mine with a epoxy finish. It makes it pretty stable and have never had one crack. As far as bowls, vases, etc if they are turned correctly, dried properly then there is not much of a problem with cracking. I have several vases that are 5 or more years old and none have cracked. We are in a dry climate (read summer around 10% to 15% humidity). I have several bowls we use for cereal and soup that we use at least 5 days a week and no cracks. We have plates and salad bowls we use several times a week that are 3 to 4 yrs old that we use several times a week with no cracks.

There's always a possibility that a wooden vessel will crack. The probability of it actually happening, though, is the result of several variables, such as how the wet wood was handled and stored and how the finished product is handled and stored. In most cases, if the piece is stable enough to last the first few weeks, it's probably going to outlast all of us as long as it's not subjected to large temperature and humidity swings.

Cynthia sounds to me like it is time to get a lathe so you can try some of these things.:rofl:

On goblets I finish the insides of mine with a epoxy finish. It makes it pretty stable and have never had one crack. As far as bowls, vases, etc if they are turned correctly, dried properly then there is not much of a problem with cracking. I have several vases that are 5 or more years old and none have cracked. We are in a dry climate (read summer around 10% to 15% humidity). I have several bowls we use for cereal and soup that we use at least 5 days a week and no cracks. We have plates and salad bowls we use several times a week that are 3 to 4 yrs old that we use several times a week with no cracks.

Bernie, that epoxy is food safe I assume? And does it leave it shiny on the inside or is it invisible?

It is a film finish and it is kinda shiney. I can't even remember where I bought it but it is food safe. I haven't made a goblet for about 3 yrs now and I bought this epoxy since they would be used for wine drinking. I went to the shop to look for a name but the one bottle just says resin and the other says hardener. I will see if I can find the info.

I have not turned any goblets but I am interested also in what type of epoxy you are using and how you applied it - I mainly use the epoxy I have to make repairs and patches etc..... works good that way but never thought of coating the inside of a bowl or goblet like that.......

I have not turned any goblets but I am interested also in what type of epoxy you are using and how you applied it - I mainly use the epoxy I have to make repairs and patches etc..... works good that way but never thought of coating the inside of a bowl or goblet like that.......

I believe West Systems and System 3 both make epoxies that can be used as a film finish. It's less viscous than what we normally use as epoxy glue. I know a guy who used that type of epoxy finish on turned wooden bathroom sinks.