Identify this wood.

Julio Navarro

I found this pile at a tree removal yard.

This is a bad picture and I will have more tomorrow. These trunks are about 6 to 8 feet long and are about 8 to 12" in dia. There is another pile next to this one of the same wood that is about 4' in dia and maybe 8 to 10 feet long.

I took this pic with my cell phone so the quality is not to ggod.

The bark is white and the wood is bright orange. Its been this color for quite some time. Ive seen this pile for over a year I think

Any way, there is also a huge stump trunk that is maybe 6' to 8' in dia that would make a great table. Its red oak I think.

The owner told me I could have the entire wood pile for $150.00. The pile is way to large for me to do anything with so he agreed that I could cut it there on site and take as much as I could for the 150 dollars.

So my question is: What sort of wood is this and is it worth doing anything with?

Keep in mind that the other peices are off the ground atop other peices and not rotted out, but they are huge and cutting them down would take a lot of work.

Any thoughts appreciated , of course.jsw_wood.jpg

Thoughts.........?

Do you have a chainsaw?

Safety Chaps, safety gloves and a good full faceshield?

Lots of grunt work there, so be ready for some pain the next day, but...................

I see a whole bunch of bowls, and or boards there :D

Dunno if $150 is a good idea, BTW, ask the tree removal guy what kind of wood it is, he might know...........?

Orange wood, with white bark? Dunno, Persimmon?

Hey Stue...you know what I think of everytime I go past that pile of wood?

YOU and your tokyo mill.

I see myself buying a chainsaw and creating a portable mill. I can get pretty much all that stuff and maybe even some help during the week end.

I would be more than happy to do it if the wood was worth it.

I figure I could talk the guy down to maybe 40 or 60 bucks for a few of the nice pieces. Bu tyou gotta see the good ones, they are amazing IMHO of course.

I'll have more pics tomorrow (took some with my cell phone but they got lost somehow)

Kinda hard to tell from the photo, but looks to me a little like Melaleuca. They're pretty common out here in Southern Calif., and my web search shows they may be invading FL as well. Out here they're also known as "paper bark" trees as the spongy bark comes off like sheets of paper. Here's a site with more info & photos:

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/melainv.html

Mike

Here's a couple of pictures of the wood. The owner tells me its Eucalyptus. As I know very little about it perhaps someone can tell me if it's worth the time to mill it and if so, what is the best use for it, i.e., bowls, lumber?

There's a ton of it, huge logs about 10 to 12' long maybe 24 to 48" dia some smaller some larger.

The guy seems like he may be a bit difficult to deal with so if I do business with him it needs to be worth it.

jsw_logs01.jpg

jsw_logs02.jpg

My biggest concern is the checking on this wood. It looks like it's been setting around for 6 months or more, and no sealing of the ends has taken place.

Trimming the ends may be the only way to get past the checking, and into the good wood.....regardless of whether you will use it for turning or flat stock.

IMHO, a good portion of the wood is firewood. Sorry to be the barer of bad news. :(