Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boring a hole in a stump ????

Boring a hole in a stump ????

I received a email from a relative asking me if I could think of a way to bore 3-4" holes in a tree stump. First question is why do you want to do that ? He stated he had someone turn the stump round more or less on a large lathe leaving some inclusions etc......the wood pattern he said it very nice and will finish nicely but he wants the holes bored into it so he can put it in his office as a holder for blueprints of some sort............

Well, oooooook.........without buying a expensive machine and then a auger bit I would have no idea so I thought I would ask the people on here about how he could do that..........................buying the bit is one thing but a machine to drill it out is another........not sure..........thoughts??
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

well i am not sure if yu can get forstner bits that large dan but if its possible then a floor model drill press will do it with extension rods to make the bit longer..just watch your speed and take it easy your taking alot of wood out at a time and the torque is gonna be high..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Suppose you could use a hole saw and chip out the waste when you hit the bottom of the bit. It'll take forever though.

Forstners do come that big, I have a 3 1/2 incher.
    But, to keep costs down, I believe I would get out my biggest bit and drill a series of holes to dimensions wanted. Then I would use a chisel, whatever kind is available, flat or a carvers gouge, and clean up the sides. Lotsa elbow grease and armpit sweat would be involved but it would do the job.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

ok a couple questions for you first. How big diameter stump, how many holes, how deep the holes will be or if they go all the way through and will these holes be through the end grain or cross grain in the stump

the diameter is about 18+ or bigger - boring the stump in at a slight angle and going to approx the center or there abouts - it does not have to be exact as far as depth -
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

FWIW, I found some German made large Forstner's on line for sale.
    Prices are quite expensive.
    A 3" is about $200.00; 3 1/2" $300.00 and a 4" is $400.00.
    But, if this guy wants to do something in a commercial way he will have to pay for professional level tools.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

well at those prices i would go with a series of holes and make a gouge do the rest..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    FWIW, I found some German made large Forstner's on line for sale.
    Prices are quite expensive.
    A 3" is about $200.00; 3 1/2" $300.00 and a 4" is $400.00.
    But, if this guy wants to do something in a commercial way he will have to pay for professional level tools.
    Both lee valley and grizzly have 3 inch forstner bits. I wouldnt worry to much about the bit as long as you dont overheat it, any bit should have no problems drilling a couple holes. I'd be more worried about what your going to use to spin this hugh bit. Your gonna have problems drilling at an angle unless you use a drill press

Since you don't care about the quality of the holes, and since even a 3" spade bit would be a bear to work with freehand, I'm going with Frank and Larry's idea. Drill, chisel, drill, chisel.

I had to make a 6" hole in the back wall for a dryer vent. First through concrete block, then through brick. Drilled around it with a good sized bit, then chiseled out. Then drilled some more. It took most of a day, and my biggest drill. You can get extra long bits even at home depot.

Buy several...

Thanks,

Bill