New Shop

I have a 200 amp panel in my house and everything is electric in my house also. I did some random checks on current draw on each leg of my house panel and never exceeded 30 amps on each leg.

My shop is fed with a 60 amp breaker and I've yet to trip it. I've had my 5 hp cyclone, my 8" jointer, my 24,000 btu a/c and my tablesaw all running at the same time with the compressor kicking in.

Did he even do any calculations to determine this?

I agree that you should be fine with the 60Amp panel, but, for code and for insurance you have to get the electrician to sign off on that as well as the inspector. Ask the electrician to explain it to you, it is NOT that difficult.

I'll shoot an e-mail to my dad, he was an electrician and then an electrical inspector for the province for about 30 years, he is retired now, he should have some good information.

Cheers!

I run a 2.2Kw three phase motor on a 36cm impeller for my Pentz design cyclone, I also run 15cm PVC to all the machines, this works VERY well, I've never had a problem.

I built my own cyclone, and the whole system.

I also use friction fit for the PVC but I put a few self tapping screws in here and there, as I do live in earthquake country, I also used the aluminum tape over all the joints, just to be sure.

One tool that I developed for installing the PVC ducting was VERY handy in twisting the pipes so you could align and arrange things.

pipe_twister1.jpg pipe_twister2.jpg
Sorry for the lousy old cell phone pics, but you get the idea, I also had a water spritzer thing with hand dish washing soap and water in it, spray that on before you join the pipes and fitting and with the pipe twisting tool you can line stuff up how you like.

An important note, the PVC stuff is HEAVY, you need a helping hand or, like me, you have to put some hooks in here and there and use straps to hold stuff in place temporarily while you line stuff up.

Making you own blast gates is stupid simple, really, just make a jig for your hand held router and whack out a bunch of body pieces, and then some slider gates, some glue and screws and you are done, the ones I have work VERY well.

Cheers!

Thanks guys, that's helpful and comforting. I think I was way off on the amps 3hp tools really pull. I dont really want to run two things at once, I just want to be able to supply all the power any one tool and DC needs without having to turn things off randomly around the shop like battery chargers, lights, ac, etc.

I'm not real worried about tripping the 200 amp breaker, I was more worried about the 60 amp sub. The electrician told me he would only put in a 60 amp sub panel, but I didnt' really ask for an explanation. I honestly have no idea about residential electrical code and I have to get a permit, so I don't have a lot of options on the 60 amp panel.

Inside the shop, that was just me looking at the motor ratings, lights, etc. I'm glad I posted this, sounds like I was high on my amp draw estimates of 3hp tools. I can stick with the 3hp cyclone wihtout problem.

Thanks for the link stew. I actually had already found that, it had basically convinced me to make my own gates. I guess I'm looking more for parts to transition from 6" pvc to different size hoses.

The electrician told me he would only put in a 60 amp sub panel, but I didnt' really ask for an explanation. I honestly have no idea about residential electrical code and I have to get a permit, so I don't have a lot of options on the 60 amp panel.

I have a 50amp breaker feeding my sub as it was leftover from a welder circuit from the previous owner. I run all but one of the light circuits off the main so if the sub blows I am not left in the dark. I have had no trouble running a 2HP cyclone along with 3HP machines but that would be the maximum combination that I ever use together in practice. I have had no issues.

Here's the tentative layout of the new shop. The entry way will have a dog door, so they can get inside, as well as storage cabinets to either side. The other enclosed corner is going to be some type of enclosure around the dust collector. The new dust collector and planer are still currently in the budget (crossing fingers)

Not all the tools are exactly what I have, but generally close in size at least. Found them on the sketchup model downloads. The outfeed table will be fold down too.

I'm thinking some cabinets behind the workbench, but that's still up in the air. It might not be 24" deep when I build it, could end up more like shelving or something for power tools, with hand tools on the wall. Atm I'm thinking assembly table on casters, but I'm not sure.

If nothing else, I am finally learning sketchup a little more! Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Looks good, the only question I would have is what about wood storage? Also, most people focus on sheet goods and lumber storage, but they fail to consider the storage of scrap wood. You know the stuff that you can not see throwing out. I think it is the most challenging in terms of planning some solution. The other thing is that most people (myself included) really underestimate the amount of this scrap wood you end up saving. It may not be as glamorous as figuring out where to put your tools and benches, but it will bite you if you do not plan for it.

Last edited:
Sheet goods will behind the jointer. Lumber will go on wall shelves in the shop above the miter saw and I have some more storage in my garage too. I don't think I'll ever have enough room for scraps...

If I put the cabinets behind the bench, the miter station will probably be cutoff storage instead of cabinets below. If I don't put cabinets behind the bench, I'll have to think on that one...

I'm just curious if your machines will be on moveable bases. I don't know what you build or plan on building. Every tool of mine is on wheels except for the drill press. I ask this cause I see the bandsaw in the corner. There are times I've had to move my machines from there locations to do operations I hadn't forseen. As an example I never thought I would be resawing 10' long boards on my bandsaw. For the most part I can use my machines where they are at with minimal movement but there were times I had to rearrange to complete the task at hand.:wave:

Good point. I have a mobile base for the bandsaw and router table. My dad is giving me the shaper, but I'll be putting it on a base too after I get it I think.

I hope the workbench and table saw is pretty fixed.

I forgot on the scraps... Since I moved I have no built in storage in my current garage other than shelving I put up when I moved in. My current scrap storage is a bunch of 5g buckets full of boards :dunno: It actually works supprisingly well and they don't get to heavy where you can't move them.

here is what i did with my cyclone, I made a Bil pentz design out of plastic similar to the clearvue. I used 6" Sewer and drain PVC which is fairly cheap, I think Stu used schedule 40 pvc for his, I don't know what the price comparison is between them. I made my own blast gates. They are air actuated and when opened they turn the on the cyclone automatically.
http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15137

the 3rd post has pics

I hadn't thought about filing cabinets. Those old steelcase filing cabinets can hold a ton. I might swing by the used office supply store and see if they have any for cheap.

Starting the shop is frustrating, getting bogged down in the legalities, approvals, etc. Nothing is really a problem yet, just taking forever to get all the approvals. Really starting to dislike all the neighborhood covenants and architectural approval crap!!

No way I'll get the shop finished this year. Crossing my fingers to get the foundation work started around the 13th of december though.

I know I'm a little late to the dance here, but I just registered in the last few days.
Referencing the discussion about dust collection:
If you want to know how to balance the flow it's all a function of square inches of duct cross section.. That said, it's not necessary to dig in and calculate the exact square inches (pi x r^2), just look at the square.
So: 6" pipe = 6^2 = 36
4" pipe = 4^2 = 16
2" pipe = 2^2 = 4

So a system with two 4" ducts (2 x 16 = 32) and one 2" duct (1 x 4 = 4) will be perfectly balanced with a 6" main trunk (1 x 36 = 36).

Last edited:
Looks good, the only question I would have is what about wood storage? Also, most people focus on sheet goods and lumber storage, but they fail to consider the storage of scrap wood. You know the stuff that you can not see throwing out. I think it is the most challenging in terms of planning some solution. The other thing is that most people (myself included) really underestimate the amount of this scrap wood you end up saving. It may not be as glamorous as figuring out where to put your tools and benches, but it will bite you if you do not plan for it.

Never a truer word has been said.

Enjoy,

Jim

another vote for wood storage and the small stuff,, i have made two areas available after i thought i had it under control prior.. also the planer is gonna get less use i think than the jointer so i would change locations with them..the jointer can be right next to the table extension on your right..and hand in ther ejeb the politics does end after while:) and another vote for a second opion on the sub panel i dont think you will have any trouble either i ran of a 60amp panel for a long time,, no trouble unless i tried to weld and the compressor came on..

Finally starting to make some progress on the shop. Signed a contract last night, they should be starting on the foundation the week after christmas if the weather cooperates !!!