New Shop

Jeb the building is looking real good. Great brickwork. I like the top course something different adds a little character.:thumb:

Jeb i have a wood floor over concrete. I urge you to reconsider the words of wisdom of the Ambassador.

It does not need to be a winner takes all kind of approach.

In my case the floor is 2x6 pressure treated spaced 16 inches apart secured with tapcons and then pink insulation between covered by plastic vapor barrier and then a layer of fir finish plywood.

It will serve more than one purpose. It prevents damp and cold coming up from the bottom, helps the feet and joints, adds to the overall insulation, is non slip, and if you need you can even run wire under there for in floor electrical boxes.

Think it through i think there are so many that would wish they had a second chance at that thought.

You got so much in the building already this is a relatively small expense you will be very happy you did if you change your mind.

You dont have to have the builders do it. Even consider doing it in stages.

My dream shop is probably hardwood flooring over insulation, but wasn't really in the budget. Anyone tried laminate flooring in a shop before? It crossed my mind, pretty easy to put down in a room like that.

jeb where are yu in reguards to the epoxy? just for grins, figure up how much to put down the wood panels and some foam and compare that to the epoxy and the mattes.. with awood floor yu dont need mats.. and i can assure yu that just a couple wont do when yu get older:) and once yu try to push a cart full of parts or lumber or a moveable tool on the matts yu will wish yu hadnt..:D:thumb::thumb:

I haven't even bought the epoxy, but it's not much, under $200 for the whole shop. Cosco has some mats for $10 each, 2x4'. I might come back and do a wood floor at a later date, that's definitely not ruled out, but the cost of doing it up front is a little much. It doesnt' really matter if I can buy them, my wife needs some time to recover and forget how much I'm already spending :)

The anti-fatigue mats are great from Costco etc, but the best deal I've found are the large mats at my local Dell's feed and supply store. They have diff types of mats for stalls and per foot they are thicker and less expensive than most others I have found. You can cut them to the size you want too. So might want to check out your local feed and tack store if you have one close by.:)

The shop is almost done. I haven't been home lately early enough to take a picture of the outside, but the brick, trim, gutters, everything is done. The power got pulled today to the subpanel. Just a few more hours tomorrow and the contractors will be one.

I'm working on painting the inside still, but should be finished this weekend. Still have to trim the windows, door, AC, and finish a little painting. I know white is brighter, but It just felt to much like a hospital. This actually ended up darker than I wanted, but I'm quite sick of painting at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_5.jpg
    IMG_0001_5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0002_3.jpg
    IMG_0002_3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 93
jeb, look at doing the wood floor now or it wont get done,, once yu have tools in there, you will many reasons setting in frt of you saying no to the wood floor later..i wouldnt go a fancy wood floor like oak or maple ,, just some 3/4 osb or maybe a pine floor.. talk with ken werner he has pine on his and its sweet.. you dont really need to finish it like house floor your gonna use this as a shop not a show room!!1 this from someone who sees these reasons for not putting in a wood floor every day now..and has talked to him self every time a cart doesnt roll well on the mats:):thumb:

Yeah it's been bugging me. Any idea where a vapor barrier should go for alabama? Seems like under the insulation or not at all, but I'm not sure. Still pricing it, but if I can figure something for around $1/sq ft I might go ahead and get it.

Working on finishing up the painting
FWW_0001.jpg

and my lovely wife decided to bring me some goodies.
FWW_0002.jpg
Beer and cookies :D

The electrician finally got done today, so for the first time I have lights, spare outlet for a radio, heat/cooling. I'm completely spoiled now.

Dude, I'm green with envy about your shop.

That's going to be one awesome shop, and you've definitely got a great wife!

jeb i am not familiar with code in Alabama, so contact a local guy for that info..here is one type of flooring i have seen put down and its seems to be good.. it was in menards and i have seen it in depot as well its comes in 2x2 squares kinda like huge tiles and its got a tongue and grove set up on it like ceiling tile.. i think you might be able to have float like a laminate floor which would make your door heights work better.. that is one thing the you need to look at now before going wood, should have allowed for it prior..your doors probably open into the room right? if so then you got a landing area that will be lower possibly to open door..but if the door is up enough to clear the existing floor enough to use full size sheets then might be the best route..just figure up your shop size with some sleepers and the insulation in between the sleepers and the 3/4 osb on top.. like i sad earlier talk with ken werner he has pine on his but its a wood floor and his door misses the floor just fine.

Actually I had the door made open out. It wasn't really for a wooden floor, but it's more secure and leave more usable space inside.

I looked on google, something called Barricade basement insulated tiles. 1-1/8" thick, 2'x2' foam+OSB tiles. It looks pretty cool, going to see if I can find those locally.

Ok, so I read through all the isntructions on the epoxy, and looked at concrete sealers. I didn't realize how much work/extra junk you need to buy to put that stuff down, so I dont' even see doing that for a temporary floor anymore. Don't particularly want to mess wtih etching, and in the middle of the winter doesn't sound like a good idea anyway. What I've found online everything said they will peel off eventually if you don't etch.

Wooden floor questions:

Is there any reason not to do 3/4" thick 1x4 sleepers and foam? They're available, reasonably priced, and the shop will then be insulated better than any house in this city on a slab.

Is there any wear issues with the OSB flooring? I like the 2'x2' tiles but they are a bit expensive, near $2/sq ft. I'd jump on them for a basement, but it's not all that hard to move sheets to my shop. The sturdifloor sheets are like thick core plywood without a veneer. The surface looked like crap on the ones locally and they weren't very flat, so didn't look like a real option.

Is there any reason to pick plywood over OSB?