Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Plane Questions

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Hand Plane Questions

Hi there:

I know everything is relative, but in general,

a) are good quality wood hand planes as good (or better) than good quality metal ones?

b) by buying parts separately can someone (more experienced than me) make wooden planes that are as good (or better) than good quality store bought ones?

Thanks,
    cynthia
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

toni, can make a plane that will be superb!!! i have one of them and as for woodies vrs steel. i prefer steel because of the majority of my use. a wooden sole plane can get worn easier than the steel ones..and i like the heft of a steel plane better than a wood one but i do use toni's plane more as i gravitate to plane's usefulness more and more..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Never used one, but from everything I've read they can be just as good as the metal ones. Unfortunately they can be just as expensive. They 're kind of neat, and making your own plane is really cool to me.

Hock has some wooden plane kits if you're interested in trying one. Probably others out there too. I've never tried one though, not sure how hard they are to build from scratch or from kits. I'd think the smaller ones aren't to bad.

http://www.hocktools.com/Kits.htm#KS

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    a) are good quality wood hand planes as good (or better) than good quality metal ones?
    Just as good, and maybe even better in some instances. In commercial models, the Primus brand is particularly good. User-made woodies are just as good as the user who makes them. Mine are only okay, but there are many others out there who make truly great ones.

b) by buying parts separately can someone (more experienced than me) make wooden planes that are as good (or better) than good quality store bought ones? [/QUOTE]

See what I said, above. Yes, you can make very good ones.

Another thing you could do is buy a few old 'transitional' planes - the ones with metal fixturing and wooden bottoms - and either re-sole them, or even make entirely new bottoms for them. I've done several that way, and they're great planes if done right.

Having said all that, I still gravitate towards my metal planes for nearly all my work. That's why I have nearly a hundred of them - and also maybe a dozen woodies and transitionals.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post

See what That's why I have nearly a hundred of them - and also maybe a dozen woodies and transitionals.
    100 of them?
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Cynthia, here's a thread on one I made.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Cynthia this subject would probably be hotley debated in Japan. If you look up Stu's videos he posted at some time on You tube a video of a visit by Garret Hack to Japan to a bunch of woodworkers. Stu filmed much of the visit. In Japan they use mostly woodies since i have yet to see a metal one. But the work with a plane differently to western folk. Japanese wooden planes can attract bigger bucks than most of what we can get from LV or LN.

You talking about one of the most emotive subjects amongst Hand tool woodworkers. Its all a matter of preference and ones skill at using the different types. A woody you need to manually set the blade for cutting thats a bit trickier than a metal one with an adjuster. On both you need to know how to sharpen the blade and i mean sharp. Once you have experienced this though its hard not to fall in love with hand planes.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    100 of them?
    Yeah. This is about half of them:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0157b (Medium).JPG  
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

You can make your own wooden planes - see "Making and Mastering Wood Planes" for a good book on how to make them. You can buy a Hock blade and chip breaker and make the plane body.

I use mostly metal planes because they're easier to adjust. The wooden planes are more fussy to get adjusted.

Both work fine - our ancestors built lots of furniture with nothing but wooden planes.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Yeah. This is about half of them:

OMG. Can I come over to play at your house?
    AKA The Rookie