Thread: prefered size of bandsaw blade?

prefered size of bandsaw blade?

ok for your uses, on a 14" bandsaw, what size and teeth configuration is your two main go to sizes.. and i am not looking for resawing just the normal curve cutting and general use stuff..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Generally, I use 3/16" 6 tooth or 1/4" 4 tooth blades on mine.

I like 1/8" blades, but they only seem to come in 14 tooth, and I'd prefer something more like an 8 tooth one.

A 3/16" blade will still cut thru a reasonably tight radius, though.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

You can contact Louis Ittura - websearch - he is a bandsaw expert back east somewhere - he helped me with mine and prices are good and ships out fast
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

3/8"X6 tpi is my 90% do almost everything blade.
    For tight curves the 1/8" or 1/4" are great.
    For milling I (currently) use a 3/4"X3 tpi blade but would prefer a 4 tpi.
    When my 12" riser is installed I'll use no more than a 1/2"X4 tpi for milling because of possible tensioning issues.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I use a 1/2" x 3 tpi for 99% of my cuts, but most of my bandsaw's job is cutting turning blanks, and I'm willing to sacrifice turning radius for blade strength. I do have a 1/4" x 6 tpi and (I think) an 1/8" x 6 or 8 tpi for when I do want to cut cleaner, tighter curves. For the little bit of resawing I do, I use a 1/2" Woodslicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...When my 12" riser is installed I'll use no more than a 1/2"X4 tpi for milling because of possible tensioning issues.
    What tensioning issues? I'm pretty certain a 3/4" blade needs the same tension regardless of its length. A longer blade may require a longer distance traveled by the tension adjustment mechanism, the the actual pounds of tension will ultimately be the same. If you're satisfied with the results from a 3/4" blade now, you most likely will still be happy with the same width on the taller saw.

That said, I've never been real happy running a 3/4" blade on mine. I bought the 3/4" blade that Suffolk Woodworking recommended for resawing, but it didn't hold a candle to the 1/2" Woodslicer.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

What tensioning issues?

Vaughn, there was a thread a while back on this issue. I had never considered there might be an issue.
    But, it seems, the extra length of the riser allows so much flex you cannot fully tension a 3/4" blade.
    I'll do a search for the thread at another time.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    What tensioning issues?

Vaughn, there was a thread a while back on this issue. I had never considered there might be an issue.
    But, it seems, the extra length of the riser allows so much flex you cannot fully tension a 3/4" blade.
    I'll do a search for the thread at another time.
    I seem to recall seeing the thread, but I think the riser block flexing is a red herring. I can see the potential for the tensioning spring to not be stiff enough to properly tension a 3/4" blade, but not the riser block. My opinion, of course.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I seem to recall seeing the thread, but I think the riser block flexing is a red herring. I can see the potential for the tensioning spring to not be stiff enough to properly tension a 3/4" blade, but not the riser block. My opinion, of course.
    I have the riser block on a 14" Grizzly. Tensioned a 3/4 blade with no problem at all. Took a 10 inch log down to 1" planking with no problem. Everyday use is still a 3/8 though