Ode to Peg Board

glenn bradley

Pegboard seems to have a bad image for some. Maybe they see the rickety or warped panels with the pegs falling out that some folks use as organizers. Maybe some were hit on the head by the errant 5lb sledge hanging from the spindly 1/8" hook too high overhead :rolleyes:.

At any rate I cleared an area of wall and am thinking about adding some sort of organizer there as it is a few steps from the bench. This pegboard came to mind but, I instinctively resist:

Ode 2 PB (1).jpg

I've tried peg blocks with dowels that can be moved but they seem to end up like this:

Ode 2 PB (2).jpg

Maybe it is because this wall never got fully cleared off, leveled and given the cleat-wall treatment like other areas in the shop(?). Who knows.

At any rate this made me review and remind myself that pegboard can be your friend and I thought I would re-share ways that it has served me well.

Movable panels on my cleat-wall make for quick organization and handy placement:

Ode 2 PB (3).jpg

End caps on my workbench base:

Ode 2 PB (4).jpgOde 2 PB (5).jpg

Attached to the base of any tool to keep accessories handy:

Ode 2 PB (6).jpg

The floating panel in my router table door to allow airflow and hold accessory organizers:

Ode 2 PB (7).jpg

As a slide-out panel in a saw table pier to keep things handy:

Ode 2 PB (8).jpg

And it can be added almost anywhere that you thought you didn't have room for stuff; like the side of my cyclone blower housing:

Ode 2 PB(9).jpg

Anyway, maybe this will shake some thoughts loose when you are looking around in your too-cramped shop for a way to store something nearby (or out of the way).

Last edited:
Well Glenn, you've made me re-think the removal of all of the peg board that the previous owner hung in my shop. I do like your cleat system! :thumb: Do you still add a screw or two to in the panels and cabinets to secure them to the cleat?

Guess I always assumed I didn't have room for pegboard, as I don't have much empty wall space. Need to file this away for when I do my shop reorg...

Well Glenn, you've made me re-think the removal of all of the peg board that the previous owner hung in my shop. I do like your cleat system! :thumb: Do you still add a screw or two to in the panels and cabinets to secure them to the cleat?

I drill a hole that is just below the wall part of the cleat and insert a double-head nail cut to length.

wall cleat keeper1.jpgwall cleat keeper2.jpgwall cleat keeper3.jpg

Well, I suppose one could call me a pegboard junkie, for sure! When I did the addition to my shop building and remodeled the old area, I used white 1/4" pegboard on the upper half of all but one wall. The lower half is lauan plywood. The plywood and the pegboard is attached directly to the wall studs on 16" centers. I use only 1/4" pb hooks - no 1/8" thingies. The white pb brightens the shop as well as giving me lots of storage.

But one question whats the grippers doing on top of the dust collector?

I got my mom's long arms :). When I am standing on the operator side of the tablesaw. The cyclone is just a step or two to my right :thumb:. That is one of those storage spots that I found while standing on a ladder doing something else. :D