Gypsy Wagons

Bill Satko

I have been aware of Jim Tolpin building Gypsy Wagons for quite a while and I thought maybe some people here might be interested in them. The following link is to the Port Townsend School of Woodworking where they have a gallery of photos of Gypsy wagons that Tolpin has built over the years.

<<Link to Photos>>

Jim Tolpin actually teaches some classes on building these wagons.

Last edited:
Very cool, Bill. :thumb: One of those sure would turn some heads at the KOA, huh?

If we hustle, we could make one between now and next spring...hook that puppy up to King Bubba the Truck and do Tour de Wood II in style. :D

Beautiful and elaborate.
Are they built just for fun or does someone still use these?

I think some people may haul them around and use them like any RV trailer. I don't know for sure, but just a guess on my part.

Very cool, Bill. :thumb: One of those sure would turn some heads at the KOA, huh?

If we hustle, we could make one between now and next spring...hook that puppy up to King Bubba the Truck and do Tour de Wood II in style. :D

We just need to outfit Larry with Gypsy silks and a violin to complete the scene.

Really interesting, and beautifully crafted.

Back in the day, early 70s, I met someone who had an old VW microbus equipped with the smallest potbelly stove I ever saw. Little pieces of kindling, like 1 x 1 x 4 inches went into it to warm the vehicle. The stovepipe was maybe 3" in diameter. Haven't seen another one like it since.

I met Jim Tolpin one time at a seminar. He was sitting next to me. Real nice fellow, quiet, funny and unassuming.

I met Jim Tolpin one time at a seminar. He was sitting next to me. Real nice fellow, quiet, funny and unassuming.

I have had the privilege of spending some time with him over the past few years, generally every time I go to Port Townsend. Last time was last June, when I was taking another class with Garrett Hack. He invited the class to come to his house and see his home shop. Only two of us in the class took him up on his offer. I was interested in seeing his new bench, which is a massive split top Roubo with Benchcrafted leg vise and wagon wheel vise. I do mean massive. He had a great daylight basement shop equiped with many handtools, the only power tool being a bandsaw. It had a nice early 20th century woodworking shop feel to it. It was very comfortable feeling and one I want to duplicate for my future shop.

Your description of Jim is spot on, but you failed to mention his scholarly nature. He is real interesting to talk with, as it appears he is constantly doing research on something. I believe he is working on a book about hand tool woodworking. I hope it happens, because I am sure it will be well researched and a very valuable resource. I have many of his books and all of them read very well.

I think some people may haul them around and use them like any RV trailer. I don't know for sure, but just a guess on my part.

We just need to outfit Larry with Gypsy silks and a violin to complete the scene.

I should have asked: Do we still have genuine Gypsy's in the U.S.?
I have heard of the Murphy's but don't know if they are considered Gypsy's.

those are neat bill, and as for the silks,, i am sure vaughn can set me up in that department he is very good at things like that:) and i wouldnt mind being towed around by brents bubba truck:)