Smoke and Fire

Jim Burr

This is the last of some nasty powdery old redwood. The first one I swear was 1/4" thick...I swear:p!!! So here is the second one:rofl::rofl:
About 5" tall. The bottom looks dumpy because I wanted to copy a Chimenea. I wanted the top taller but that didn't work out either:eek: That explains the colors. Orange, black and yellow with the black inside seemed either like Chernobyl or a fire pot :rofl:. The grain really stands up despite several sandings after the dye was applied...oh well! 1 coat of WoP with 2 more to go. Enjoy:wave:

Attachments

• Smoke1.jpg
    Smoke1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 77
  • smoke2.jpg
    smoke2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I really like the color, Jim. :thumb: (The form's nice, too, in my opinion.) The "standing grain" issue is pretty common with the redwood I've turned. The difference in hardness between the growth rings is the main problem, and the more you sand, the more it becomes apparent.

Jim that is a fine looking piece. You did well with it. I have turned two pieces of expensive redwood that made their way to the firewood pile. No more Redwood for me. The pieces I had were just to soft, punky in a way and all I did when turning was make powder.

Inerresting piece! I like the dye job. I have a stash of cottonwood from a tree that went down in the neighborhood. Boring stuff, so I wll experiment as I have some solar lux and transtint from previous projects to play with.
Keep em coming :thumb:
mj