Thread: Want to build a road?

Want to build a road?

-Ned

Now that is just amazing! I love the sound of brick roads under car tires. I greatly dislike, actually hate, riding horses on brick roads, even dry and shoes with borium on them, brick roads are as slippery as icy roads.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Cool machine.

We still have many brick roads scattered around the Great State of misery --that should be Missouri. Sorry just poor spelling.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Neat idea but what happes when they come to curves where bricks have to be cut and placed to fit individually? I mean it looks great for straight roads but how many roads are perfectly straight?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Cool idea, Ned. Here's a link (that was kind of hidden on the page you pointed to) to more pics and more of the story. You probably saw it, but in case someone else missed it...

http://inhabitat.com/2010/11/15/amaz...s-like-carpet/

Drew, you bring up an interesting question about the curves. I wonder how much radius they can turn before needing to change the layout of the bricks. I'm guessing they can make slight turns and the gaps between the pavers will fall into place automatically. Still, it seems a winding road would be a real pain to place.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's pretty cool. !!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Very Cool, I must say.

I wonder what sort of volume/speed brick roads can handle? 50km/h?

Note that the first link mentions the bricks just "automatically" falling into place, but if you dig deeper and watch the youtube videos it becomes clear that the two-three guys up on the machine are placing all the bricks by hand.

Also, it claims 400 meters per day. That actually seems kind of a low number, based on how fast that machine was moving!?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Thanks for the Link Vaughn. Ned cool pic but without the link the impression the picture created is one of an automated machine, when in fact as Art points out its hand work. Sure would not like to be doing that job. Gloves or not can you imagine the wear and tear on your hands when you done 400 meters in a day.
    cheers