Want to build a road?

Now that is just amazing! I love the sound of brick roads under car tires. I greatly dislike, actually hate, riding horses on brick roads, even dry and shoes with borium on them, brick roads are as slippery as icy roads.

Cool machine.

We still have many brick roads scattered around the Great State of misery --that should be Missouri. Sorry just poor spelling.

Cool idea, Ned. :thumb: Here's a link (that was kind of hidden on the page you pointed to) to more pics and more of the story. You probably saw it, but in case someone else missed it...

http://inhabitat.com/2010/11/15/amazing-brick-machine-rolls-out-roads-like-carpet/

Drew, you bring up an interesting question about the curves. I wonder how much radius they can turn before needing to change the layout of the bricks. I'm guessing they can make slight turns and the gaps between the pavers will fall into place automatically. Still, it seems a winding road would be a real pain to place.

Very Cool, I must say.

I wonder what sort of volume/speed brick roads can handle? 50km/h?

Note that the first link mentions the bricks just "automatically" falling into place, but if you dig deeper and watch the youtube videos it becomes clear that the two-three guys up on the machine are placing all the bricks by hand.

Also, it claims 400 meters per day. That actually seems kind of a low number, based on how fast that machine was moving!?

Thanks for the Link Vaughn. Ned cool pic but without the link the impression the picture created is one of an automated machine, when in fact as Art points out its hand work. Sure would not like to be doing that job. Gloves or not can you imagine the wear and tear on your hands when you done 400 meters in a day.:eek: