Have you ever amazed youself by your own work?

Thanks, Bill, I was fun and a bit of a challenge because I used my lathe for the first time to turn spindles for a real project. Fortunately, I live in New Mexico where the style is somewhat rough which matches my ability perfectly. :)

Dave, thanks for the complement. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just wanted to let Rob know I also had the same thoughts and that being proud of their accomplishments was a positive thing.

I have been well pleased with some of my smaller turnings (pens, and calls) but am still wanting to turn out a "Wow!" larger bowl or piece of flatwork.
The thread title doesn't specify even though this is a woodworking forum, but I think the two novels I have written are amazing. At least, I like them. ;)
And writings are 'works'.

I've been surprised, several times, but, not necessarily by my work, but by the hidden beauty of a piece wood. I will take credit for finding it and showing it off, because my customers say that showing the beauty takes talent. Sometimes I believe they are trying to make me feel good.

Bruce

I've been surprised, several times, but, not necessarily by my work, but by the hidden beauty of a piece wood. I will take credit for finding it and showing it off, because my customers say that showing the beauty takes talent. Sometimes I believe they are trying to make me feel good.

Bruce

You make an interesting point. You should feel good about finding the hidden beauty in a piece of wood but not necessarily amazed by it; because your talent is what found it. It is the same with the repair I did on the secretary, although that did amaze me. The fact that I was able to make it look as good as it did by bringing out its hidden beauty.

Bruce

I let people believe I have a talent for finding the "hidden beauty", but I know it's really blind luck in my case. :D