Steaming out a dent

ken werner

No, it isn't Car Talk.
I got the idea to do this from Bill Satko, who reminded me that it’s really easy to put a dent in soft secondary wood.

So imagine you’re proud of your new dovetails, until you see this nice dent on one, that happened as you banged them out, when a small chip was under the soft wood.

IMG_6635.jpg

The solution: steam out the dent.

Here’s the equipment needed – water, paper towel, and a household iron.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use your honey’s iron for this. The way to get an iron is to offer to buy LOYL a new iron, and you get to keep the old one. Win, win.

IMG_6615.jpg

First spray a little water on the dent, maybe a teaspoon or so. Then place the paper towel, folded up over it, and saturate the towel with the sprayer.

Wait til your iron is hot, I use whatever the maximum setting is. [The OCD scientist in me had to put temp readings on the iron, but that is totally unnecessary.]

IMG_6616.jpg

Then, strike while the iron is hot. A nice ball of steam comes out with a hiss. Firm pressure is good.

IMG_6640.jpg

After as many repeats of this procedure as you need, you will have raised the dent above the surface of the wood.

IMG_6650.jpg

Let this dry out for a while. Maybe use a heat gun or the iron dry, or just wait, then plane smooth. The result should look like this.

IMG_6652.jpg

Practice on scrap before you tackle a real job. It's a great fix for a common problem. - With thanks to Tage Frid, who wrote about this in his book.