Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flea market find rocker redo questions

flea market find rocker redo questions

I didn't know where to post this so feel free to move it if need be.

I found this little rocker Saturday at a local flea market. I like the lines and the price was right. I got this little beaut for 5 bucks. It needs some work. The lady said it had been in their barn for years. It looks like it with the bird poo and grime on it!

I'll get my wife to reupholster the seat and back. I haven't cleaned it yet either. My question is for you finishing gurus. How should I handle the joints that are loose? Would you go with a complete refinish or just clean and recover? I'm guessing from the maple written on the seat that it's maple. It does look like maple. I don't think the angle brackets are original. They may be from a previous repair attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails heater 013 (Medium).jpg   heater 014 (Medium).jpg   heater 015 (Medium).jpg   heater 016 (Medium).jpg   heater 017 (Medium).jpg  

heater 018 (Medium).jpg  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    John, since you wife is going to reupholster it i would totally disassemble the chair and then re-glue it. Chances are the glue is hide glue so it will be problematic if you try to fix one joint and another will loosen. Then i would strip and totally refinish.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

i dont know antiques well but this doesnt seem to be one.. i would strip it and them see if your joints open up enough to separate, if so then scrape the joint and re-glue the chair up then refinish and reupholster. that stuff that dons talks about "Dads stripper" is supposed to be pretty good stuff.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

look their is medal braces in that there chair. John remove the upholstery, take it all apart and if you think you will have problems figuring out how to put it back together again number each part. You will need new dowels for the joints. Remove all the old glue and re glue. Nice lil chair.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Here's a few pics of the finished rocker. I ended up just sanding all the parts after I took it apart. It came apart really easily. It took a couple of hours to take apart, sand and glue everything back together. I ended up taking it to have it covered. I figured I'd have around 50 in materials, so if I could get it covered for 100 or less I'd let the upholsterer do the job. Well I have 104 dollars total in the rocker. It's kind of low for me, but my 10 year old son has claimed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finished rocker 001 (Small).JPG   finished rocker 002 (Small).JPG   finished rocker 003 (Small).JPG  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    That came out great, good job on the restore
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Very nicely done, John.

Even more cool is that a 10 year boy would claim a rocker. He must be an extraordinary young man!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Very very nice restore there John. pitty it was too small for you.
    cheers

Flea market

you done did a beautifull job there WTG
    May God Bless
    Ken

Looks great to me John. Always good to save something useful from the dump...