Signing Work

I've got one of those branding irons. I hardly ever sign a piece though, it's got enough mistakes for someone to know I made it. :D:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: years from now on the Antiques Roadshow, you figure that's what they'll say? "Oh yes, you see the mistake with the mortise here, and the planing....well it's all WRONG.....this is definitely a Darren Wright piece, I believe from around oct/nov 2010"......

I get out the scented candles arrange them in a circle bring out the special spell book bring the big pot over the open fire to a boil and apply small droplets of the magical potion to my work making all that touch it know and appreciate the long hrs of planning and design that go into every piece that i do.:woot:

Actually I just take a pen and do a quick note on the bottom date and sign it and then give them away to friends and family but it sure sounded good didn't it? :thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

...this is definitely a Darren Wright piece, I believe from around oct/nov 2010"......

A good antiques guy would know that it's a fake, because history will show that Darren was "between shops" during October and November of 2010. :p

My work will be known by the 3rd grade lettering...:rolleyes:

Brand%20Example%202.jpg

It was bowl number 95. I just branded numbers 109 and 110 tonight. I made the mistake of starting different number series for bowls and hollow forms. Which was fine until I made platters and vases and closed form bowls. :doh: I've decided that beginning in January 2011, I'm going to start at something like 1000 and just number everything sequentially.

Laser Rounds

Having a laser I make a small round 1.25 - 1.5 inch by 0.125 thick maple or cherry round tokens engraved with just about anything (name,date, initials or small logo).

Drill a shallow hole for a flush fit and glue it it place.

I'll make you a sample or 2 for $0.00 each. These would also carry a double your money back warranty.

PM me if interested.

Having a laser I make a small round 1.25 - 1.5 inch by 0.125 thick maple or cherry round tokens engraved with just about anything (name,date, initials or small logo).

Drill a shallow hole for a flush fit and glue it it place.

I'll make you a sample or 2 for $0.00 each. These would also carry a double your money back warranty.

PM me if interested.

i have seen pete's buttons and they are great for this purpose, great detail and all the pertant info:)

Pete, you drive a hard bargain, buddy. :D

I'll vouch for Pete's work. :thumb: He even helped me put my "VM" logo on some knives I made a couple years ago.

Desert%20Ironwood%20Benny-Q%20Knife%204%20-%20800.jpg

Lea%20Ann%27s%20Knife%20800.jpg

Vaughn, those knives are gorgeous.

Cynthia, I make paper labels, with a note written on it - who it's for, why, my name etc. Here's an example:

Actually, this little box and label earned me my 15 minutes of fame, it was published in Fine Woodworking.

So far, I have only signed my duck and other game calls. I have a facsimile of my signature laser engraved on them.
Sales of calls are, at least, 50% to collectors who won't even look at an unsigned call.

Cynthia,
I don't do any flat work, because I'm so lousy at it I would never want anyone to know it's my work... likely there will be a little blood in it somehwere and a quick DNA test will thwart my efforts to anominity.

On my turnings, I do like Vaughn, a number, description of the wood, a date (month/year) and my name all burned in with a Razor writing tip. I'm a year behind Vaughn, so my info is more in the 2nd grade writing.

My meager attempt at some sort of sophistication, I use a 6 digit number... first two are a code number to indicate the category of the turning... 10=bowl, 33=pen, 34=peppermill etc... the next four numbers are just a sequential number in my log book of the piece number... since starting this number system 2006(it doesn't take into account the hundreds of pens I turned before changing number systems), I think I'm up to 1192... when I reach 9999, hopefully I'll still be able to turn and then will add another digit to the "catalog" number.

I was thinking if I ever got good enough to give away work (much less try to sell it), I would use a medallion.