Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping Organizer - Done

Wrapping Organizer - Done

My wife saw this in the PB catalog the other day and mentioned that she'd like to have one soon since the wrapping season is upon us. Been learning to use sketchup and decided to make it my first project as she has a few enhancements she'd like done to it. One thing I'm having issues doing is getting the routed slots for the dowels to have a small dip at the bottom to keep the dowels from pulling directly out of the slots, not sure how to do it. Any advice?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wrapping Organizer.png  
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-11-2014 at 04:25 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Off the top of my head, I'd say an easy way to address the 'dip' would be to use a template or pattern & a router, you could easily get the dowels to stay in place that way. Very nice work on the SU design btw
    -Ned

What Ned said.

(our use of wrapping paper has dropped like a stone since my wife started sewing fabric gift bags almost 10 years ago. Most come right back afterwards for re-use. Others don't, but then that gives us a little turnover. Many people here are using paper gift-bags also, so those usually go out w/ kids birthday parties.)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Thanks guys. I guess I know how to make the dip on the physical project. I was really wanting to know how to make the offset in sketchup. I'd draw two circles and connect them, but they are close and the lines aren't suppose to cross. Still going through the tutorials, so maybe I'll come across something.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Darren,
    I didn't take much time to get the demension right but you'll get the idea. I made two arcs connected by two lines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Darren i owe you for this one. I think that would be a great Xmas present for Loml now she has her own project room.

Can you believe the price $229 and its painted probably junk wood underneath.

Who says you cannot compete making something like this for a living.

i will give it a try and paint it to boot. Thanks Great idea.

Sorry i cannot help you with the Sketchup drawing i am still learning myself.

But i will wing it. My wife aint seen the pottery barn one. so i am off the hook on any differences.
    cheers

Thanks Don, not sure why I didn't think of that, Also drew each of mine individually, could have been a component too. DOH!

Rob, Glad I could help. I'm also planning to incorporate a ribbon box into the one for my wife. Much like this one with the holes in the front. I may still do a lid, but want to put it in the place above the drawer and use a dowel from the top to pin it in to the frame. That way she wouldn't pull it off the shelf when she pulled the ribbon. Just pull the pin to slide it out and she can take it down to refill or use off the table.
    Darren

Darren, I suppose it's too late for this but I'll post it anyway. This may not be the shape you want but the idea is there.

1. Layout for and draw a circle for the end of channel.

2. Draw the lines for the channel.

3. Draw an arc for the transition.

4. Delete the unneeded lines and the guides. Optional: Weld the lines and arcs. This will save clean up time later and is faster than doing the clean up..

5. Push/Pull to push the channel to depth.

You don't need to make a component of the outline of the channel but you should Move/Copy and make a linear array instead of drawing each channel from scratch.

And if you make the sides instances of the same component and flip one of them to create a mirror copy, the channels will all be cut at the same time. Then make one of them unique so you can cut the extra dado on the right side.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

That's very close, but because I'll probably be using a 1/2" or 5/8" router bit to make the grooves, I'll want the channel and the dip at the end to both be 1/2" or 5/8" respectively. Can I draw two circles that do overlap, draw straight lines to connect them as well as the angled channel, then remove the overlapped lines?

I'm just going off of what the tutorials said, which was to not overlap lines...I guess I should give it a try...there's always the undo option.
    Darren

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Darren You mean like this ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-23-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I forgot the attachment
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward