Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the way home today

On the way home today

Recieved a call last night about frozen pipes at our place on Salt Spring Island so an emergency trip to play plumber for the day. All went well with the repair except one joint that just didn't want to stay glued together in such cold. A little heat and it finally stuck but it caused us to miss the intended ferry. So every dark cloud has a silver linning and ours was on the way home when the captain of the ferry got on the PA telling everyone about a pod of orcas right in front of the ferry. He slowed down the ferry so as not to distube the pod which gave me the time to grab the camera and stand with everyone on the deck in the bitter cold to get some shots. It was spectacular watching them breaching and saw some one youngster in the bunch. Not something that you see every day from the deck of a ferry. Took some pics to share with everyone. One of the repair job too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salt Spring adventure 007 - Copy.JPG   Salt Spring adventure 016 - Copy - Copy.JPG   Salt Spring adventure 030 - Copy - Copy.JPG   Salt Spring adventure 047 - Copy - Copy.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Very cool Drew!

Like I say, no other DIY project has the potential for frustration like pluming, but it sounds you got the better end of the deal today...

Nice pics too!

We hired a plumber last year when this happened to get the pipes fixed and this PVC repair was his doing. I just repaired it but plan of re-doing the entire thing in copper this coming year when I rebuild the pump house. That way I can run heat tape on it so that when it gets cold it can simply be plugged in.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Wow, that's neat, Drew. I can't wait to come visit!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Drew,

Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Very cool you lucky man. Thanks for sharing them.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
    We hired a plumber last year when this happened to get the pipes fixed and this PVC repair was his doing. I just repaired it but plan of re-doing the entire thing in copper this coming year when I rebuild the pump house. That way I can run heat tape on it so that when it gets cold it can simply be plugged in.
    The last 2-3 years the pipes in the kitchen freeze when the temps drop down into the single digits (F). The people who did the kitchen ran the sink feeds through the exterior wall, and I don't think they put any insulation in there. I pile wood pellets on the outside to try and keep it from freezing, there is a crawl space vent right next to the pipes and no matter what, they usually freeze up. (Note to self: Close up poorly located vent and fill with insulation...)

Used to require going into the crawl space with a heat gun and manually thawing the pipes. Last year I bought the heat tape and an extension cord.

I'm hoping it works this year and I don't have to go down into that rodent graveyard where I can't get up on my knees and crawl. Instead, have to do a belly wriggle, just like the snakes I imagine live down there....

I hear ya Brent my old house had a crawl space like that. This place has a crawl space too (Knee height), Nothing was done right on this place as it was only suppose to be a summer cabin. There is no foundation just concrete pads. I plan on pouring a full concrete foundation around the entire place when we move back there and digging out the basement to a better height and maybe doing a rough poured slad. Nothing fancy just dry. Right now the hot water sits in a hole they dug out under the house on the soil and concrete blocks as it was too tall to fit under there. So much has to be changed and I still have to build a full sized shop.

Pretty cool pics
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Pretty cool pics
    Thanks Bob, My wifes late husband was the captain on this ferry and she says that it is the first time that she has seen something like this before. This area is not known for whale sightings as it is a major shipping channel with regular ferry sailings of 3-4 ships every hr.