Talk about a generous and understanding client...

John Pollman

This reaffirms my faith in humanity.

Many of you know that last week I fell and broke my shoulder while starting a family room remodel for a client. (my neighbor directly across the street) I spent three days in the hospital and wasn't discharged until Friday evening. Needless to say, things have been stressful around here lately worrying about bills and such with the holidays coming and not knowing exactly how long I'm going to be out of work. I'm hoping maybe just six to eight weeks or slightly longer. He called me on Sunday night and said don't worry about the job. It's still mine and I can get it done whenever I'm healed up and able to do so. That was a load off of my mind to help relieve at least a little stress at this point.

About a half hour ago the doorbell rang. I answered the door and it was him. He wanted to come over and see how things were going because I hadn't talked to him in a couple of days. I told him things were going fairly well considering the circumstances. We talked for about ten minutes and he told me again to not worry about the job and that it's there whenever I'm ready to go. He then turned to leave and he reached into his pocket and pulled something out. He then handed me a check for the full estimated amount of the quote! I was dumbfounded. I told him that it wasn't necessary and that I'd find some way to make things work. He then said that he and his wife discussed it and they decided that with the holidays coming, they knew things were going to be tight and they wanted me to have it. Needless to say, I thanked him profusely and he headed home. I've got to say that clients like that are few and far between but they DO exist.

Have a great holiday all!

John

I'm a firm believer in "what comes around, goes around". I'm guessing you've done something good, sometime, for someone, and this is just a bit of payback. ;) I'm also willing to bet your client is gonna get one heck of a job when you get healed up. :thumb:

What a great gesture. Now walk that check right back across the street hand it back to him and thank him for the offer.
Taking it now means free work once you heal up.:thumb:
If you don't take it back to him at the very least go and pre-pay for all the materials for the job so you don't have to come up with that money once you heal up.:thumb:

Hi,

I should have seen this sooner...All of the good adjectives have been used already.

It is wonderful to have neighbors like that. I am truly blessed. I have them on both sides of me and across the street. I stuck that in to let you know I know the feeling...there are no words to express it correctly...you have to experience it.

Get well soon!!!

Enjoy,

Jim

You're right folks, they went above and beyond with that gesture. I had a hard time taking that check at first when he handed it to me. I tried to give it back but he wouldn't take it. It is a huge load off of my mind though to have a few bucks though. Things have been pretty tight lately even before this job came along. It was a relief to get a decent job started and to know that in a couple weeks there would be a good paycheck. Well that changed in an instant last Wed. morning.

It's nice though to have the full amount up front. Things already being tight and will only get tighter until I heal up, I'd end up having to charge the materials when I do get started. Normally I don't mind doing that on a job that I can finish in less than thirty days because I can just pay off the materials before the next billing cycle. But now that's not an issue.

I gave him the quote a few days before I got started and he was pleased with the amount. I told him that the quote included everything for materials and labor except for a small amount for paint and some material for the built in shelves on either side of the mantle. He said that was fine and whatever the difference was would be fine. I'm having a hard time with a hard quote for the shelving because I don't know what I'm going to find once the paneling is gone. I've got a good idea as to what I'm going to do but was going to finalize it once I got a look back there.

Let me tell you, those items are now INCLUDED in the quote. ;) It's not going to cost much for 2-3 gallons of paint and a sheet or two if sand-ply for the shelves. Paint labor is now covered too. For a customer to pay up front for a job that I can't even start for probably at least two months is incredible to me. It's a tough thing to do in this society today to trust a contractor like that. Believe me, I'm going to make it worth their while!

Have a great Thanksgiving folks!

John

Customer "friends" like that make you want to go the extra 10 miles to please them. There the kind of folk that even if nothing did happen you would do what ever it took to get the job done anyway. That is an awesome friend !

That is a most unusual behaviour in these selfish days we live, make sure that the work you do for this guy deserves such a gesture, I would and I'm sure you will:thumb::thumb: