Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Believe ??

Would You Believe ??

I still don't believe...... I'm coming home for lunch today, minding my own business in the right lane of a four lane divided highway. A young lady in a huge SUV (on the cell phone) passes me on the left. As she gets by me, she runs over a can of silver spray paint laying in the road. As the can passes under her rear tire, it splits at the seam right along the bottom, then pops from under the tire about six feet off the ground. The pressure coming out of the split puts the can into a spin (much like helicopter blades), as it passes over my truck spewing silver enamel paint all over my truck. What a mess !!!

Any suggestions ? I'm really sick over this..... the pics don't show how bad it really is ....... Its on the front end, hood, front fender, windshield, top, door and bedside. Oh, I forgot the wheels and tires also!

(No offense meant to the young lady, it wasn't her fault and I'm not sure she even realized it happened)
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 02-14-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Tony, BCE '75

Tony, sorry about your luck.

Whenever we would spray paint one of our classic cars or vintage tractors we would inevitably get some overspray for different reasons...touch ups, etc.....kinda the same thing that can of paint did to your truck.

Since the paint on our cars or tractors would be dried and cured we would simply wipe with a damp cloth of laquer thinner in the area of overspray and the mess would be gone.

If you have any reservations about trying this, just dab a bit in a small incospicous (sp) place and see if that works....then do the rest of the area.

Hope that helps you.

This is the kind of event that insurance was intended to help with. It's a "no-fault" and probably shouldn't reflect negatively on your premium rate.

That's my $0.02 CDN

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    This is the kind of event that insurance was intended to help with. It's a "no-fault" and probably shouldn't reflect negatively on your premium rate.
    Your right John, It's covered but I carry a high deductible ...........
    My choice, no one to blame,
    What I save in premiums quickly covers the higher deductible .

Tony, BCE '75

I think this would be covered under the comprehensive coverage of your policy. It might not have the same high deductible as the other coverages have. Just an idea. Hope it helps.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Paint Spray

That happen to me one time and somebody told me to use finger nail polish remover and that did the job. And no damage to the paint.

Bill

That would be a lot of finger nail polish remover.............. does it come in the gallon jug

Tony, that just sucks.

Were you on the way to or from work? Maybe your work has insurance that would cover it?

How about your home owner's insurance..........?

You just never know, what is covered in it, if the truck was sitting in your yard and this happened somehow, would your home insurance cover it?

Some home insurance policies have "to and from work" coverage in them...?

Just throwing out idea......

I'd go to a body shop or two and see what they suggest, if the truck has a good coat of wax on it, the paint should just come off fairly easy, or if the truck was dirty................... see, another reason NOT to wash your truck

Good luck!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    That would be a lot of finger nail polish remover.............. does it come in the gallon jug ...
    Yeppers, acetone by the gallon can be found at the Borg. (Or if not gallons, quarts.)

I'd follow Steve Ash's advice with some type of solvent and a gentle touch, after test in an inconspicuous place.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks all, I tried a little mineral spirits and with a LOT of elbow grease was able to remove a little of it......... Tried a pressure spray, didn't work at all. I'm going to try lacquer thinner to see if it works easier, if not maybe acetone (acetone worries me, it's pretty strong). Problem is it will be Saturday before I'm able to devote the time to it, and the longer it sits the harder it will be to remove.

Any suggestions for the plastic air dam, or around the rear view mirrors?

Tony, BCE '75

Tony, a product I use on Vinyl siding to remove spots of different origins is called "Goof Off" I'm pretty sure you can buy it at Wal-Mart types of places, probably at the Borgs too.