Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid '50s Walker-Turner 6520 6" Jointer....Gloat.

Mid '50s Walker-Turner 6520 6" Jointer....Gloat.

I love the 4" Rockwell planer I inherited from my Dad, but I need something with more capacity and umph!

I found a late '40s or early '50s Walker-Turner 6' planer on craigslist. I called the owner and left a message and got a return call back today. Jointer was owned by his father-in-law in Colorado, and brought to Seattle when he passed. Present owner has used it a little and says "It has more age than use"...LOL.

7" x 37" table, 1/2hp Dayton motor with a 3 belt drive system. Also has the unusual "cutter guard" that allows you to adjust here and there and even apply downward pressure to the wood.

3 others called, but I was the first one he called back....so I told him I'd take it...unless there are serious problems. He assured me it is in great mechanical shape (could use a cosmetic paint restore, but not rusted). I pick it up tomorrow! Price: $85.

Should be similar to this:

This is what one looks like restored, minus the cutter guard.

Closer shot of the drive system on a restored tool.

I'll post final pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 02-16-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Good for you Greg, sounds like it could be a dandy. I like the way that restored one looks. Post pics when you get it home.

And don't make the mistake I did when it comes to dads old tools...I gave away his old 8" craftsman from the 40's when I moved, I'd love to get it back. Hold onto your dads old jointer, if nothing else than for sentimental reasons.

Does the one you bought have that spiffy cast iron stand in the pics ? Even if it doesn't, it looks like a good one. 3 v-belts is serious stuff

My 4" Beaver (no jokes please) jointer came on the stand from an old treadle sewing machine. Much more personality than those nasty blue-grey 4" jointers you see around these days.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Steve, thanks. No, I'll always keep Dad's jointer, and his Delta/Rockwell 9" arbor saw (I've got to get a new motor for it). I like the grey/black paint scheme on another large planer that someone posted. I'll have to search for it for reference.

Ian,

No fancy stand...maybe I can find one on ebay or somewhere... I too was surprised by the multiple belts, but it shows the way things were built back then....and should deliver good power/torque to the blades.

So ya got a singing (Singer) Beaver? Kewl!
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 02-15-2007 at 01:17 AM.

I too have a Rockwell 4" jointer that has a lot of sentimental value. Like you I've wanted something bigger. That Walker Turner is a beautiful tool! Congratulations.

Way to go Greg!

These old tools are easy on the eyes, and the wallet eh?

Can't wait to see this one all redone!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

With the Atlas drill press, now this planer...I think I may be hooked on the small old iron.... My shop won't take a 12" Oliver planer, or 6' lathe!! But it does seem like some of the bench top stuff from the '40s and '50s is out there, if you look. Now I'm checking craigslist several times a day and night! A nice lathe or planer would be nice...then there is another radial saw... Arrrggghhh

The "cutter guard" on the W/T is interesting. I'm glad it's on mine. Here's some pics I found on the net of what it looks like.

Jeff, Thanks. Here's my 4" Rockwell.

Last edited by Greg Cook; 02-15-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Great stuff Greg.
    Those old tools, even after neglect just keep coming back. Every time I see one it makes me want to build something. You are putting together a really great shop!

DT

Hey Greg, that cutter head thing is really interesting, when you take yours apart, I'd really like to see some detailed pics.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'm still looking for the Goat.

Looks like a nice find, Greg. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics when it arrives.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com