Mid '50s Walker-Turner 6520 6" Jointer....Gloat.

Greg Cook

I love the 4" Rockwell planer I inherited from my Dad, but I need something with more capacity and umph!

I found a late '40s or early '50s Walker-Turner 6' planer on craigslist. I called the owner and left a message and got a return call back today. Jointer was owned by his father-in-law in Colorado, and brought to Seattle when he passed. Present owner has used it a little and says "It has more age than use"...LOL.

7" x 37" table, 1/2hp Dayton motor with a 3 belt drive system. Also has the unusual "cutter guard" that allows you to adjust here and there and even apply downward pressure to the wood.

3 others called, but I was the first one he called back....so I told him I'd take it...unless there are serious problems. He assured me it is in great mechanical shape (could use a cosmetic paint restore, but not rusted). I pick it up tomorrow! Price: $85.

Should be similar to this:

This is what one looks like restored, minus the cutter guard.

Closer shot of the drive system on a restored tool.

I'll post final pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good for you Greg, sounds like it could be a dandy. I like the way that restored one looks. Post pics when you get it home.:thumb:

And don't make the mistake I did when it comes to dads old tools...I gave away his old 8" craftsman from the 40's when I moved, I'd love to get it back. Hold onto your dads old jointer, if nothing else than for sentimental reasons.

Does the one you bought have that spiffy cast iron stand in the pics ? Even if it doesn't, it looks like a good one. 3 v-belts is serious stuff :D

My 4" Beaver (no jokes please) jointer came on the stand from an old treadle sewing machine. Much more personality than those nasty blue-grey 4" jointers you see around these days.

Steve, thanks. No, I'll always keep Dad's jointer, and his Delta/Rockwell 9" arbor saw (I've got to get a new motor for it). I like the grey/black paint scheme on another large planer that someone posted. I'll have to search for it for reference.

Ian,

No fancy stand...maybe I can find one on ebay or somewhere... I too was surprised by the multiple belts, but it shows the way things were built back then....and should deliver good power/torque to the blades.

So ya got a singing (Singer) Beaver? :huh: :rofl::rofl::rofl: Kewl!

Last edited:
I too have a Rockwell 4" jointer that has a lot of sentimental value. Like you I've wanted something bigger. That Walker Turner is a beautiful tool! Congratulations.

Stu,

With the Atlas drill press, now this planer...I think I may be hooked on the small old iron.... My shop won't take a 12" Oliver planer, or 6' lathe!!:eek::rofl: But it does seem like some of the bench top stuff from the '40s and '50s is out there, if you look. Now I'm checking craigslist several times a day and night! :doh:A nice lathe or planer would be nice...then there is another radial saw... Arrrggghhh

:rofl:

The "cutter guard" on the W/T is interesting. I'm glad it's on mine. Here's some pics I found on the net of what it looks like.

Jeff, Thanks. Here's my 4" Rockwell.

Last edited:
Great stuff Greg. :thumb:
Those old tools, even after neglect just keep coming back. Every time I see one it makes me want to build something. You are putting together a really great shop!

DT

I'm still looking for the Goat. :huh:

:rofl:

Looks like a nice find, Greg. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics when it arrives.

Great looking little jointer. I like it.

I have a similar jointer, but mine is Yates-American 6" 1/2 HP direct drive. I just got a new set of blades, and plan to sell a newer craftsman 1 HP nwwm.

Very similar to yours, and you can see my guard, it flips up and out of the way to adust the blades.

I plan to use this as my main jointer, for the near term...(i.e., find a nice 12"-24" vintage jointer). I also have an 8" Crescent jointer I bought without a motor. It's only marginally better for me. Having a 12"-14" jointer could handle most all needs for me. Who knows, maybe I'll really like the Crescent, I got a motor not long ago, but need to get a pulley and belts for it. Providing the motor works, it's a similar era motor, 1 1/2 HP GE motor, 3 Phase. It's a big motor. I haven't even cleaned it up and fired it up, so don't know if it works or not, but I think it does. Came from some type of old farming equipment. It came with an angle gear attached...that weighs about 100 lbs in itself.:rofl:

Yes, old woodworking machines are pretty cool, and addicting as you've noticed.

You can find such nice deals around. Most people don't want to invest the work needed to fix them up, so there's some great deals to be had.

Well, I got it! Got to the owners house about noon and it was on it's cart in the garage. The unit and cart wouldn't fit in my baby Benz, so Jim took the jointer off and we lifted it into my trunk. I told Jim he could keep the cart, and went off to work.

The jointer is in really good shape. Has quite a bit of light surface rust, but nothing that won't clean up nicely. It is also very heavy....I would say 120 ~ 130lb! I can't lift it out of my trunk by myself, especially with the motor hanging out the back. Gonna have to get the neighbor to help.

Main unit label

Jointer just fits...

1/2hp Dayton motor. You can see 2 of the 3 drive belts at the far right of the motor.

Front

Top of cutter guard

Cutter guard arm attachment. Looks like a spring return, similar to a drill press. Arm lift and swing seem to be spring assisted.

Bottom of cuter guard

Over all, I'm really happy with it. I'll get it out, use it for a bit, then tear it down for restore. I think I'll have to build an electrolisis (sp?) cleaning tank like Stu used. It will be a valuable addition to my shop. High quality, last forever, and a very reasonable price!

Last edited: