Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ugh.

ugh.

about six hours to cut the dovetails (my hands were buzzing from hanging onto a router that long). 52 drawers, 208 parts, probably around 1500 pins/tails.

I just thought it was kinda cool looking all stacked up like that. In person it messed with your eyes.

I need a automatic dovetailer.

I've got another 27 to build next week.
    Last edited by Karl Brogger; 11-26-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Wha! Wowee WooWa!!!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    looks like more tails then pins...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Seen some setups for doing it on a cnc router Karl. Looks to be just what you need.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

would you be so kind and tell what device/jig you used?

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    would you be so kind and tell what device/jig you used?
    Porter Cable Omni-jig. The one that was discontinued three or four years ago.

Don- I make my drawers all 1/2" big, then after they're dovetailed I cut a 1/4" off of the top and bottom to remove any tear out from the router bit. It is part of the process that really needs to be re-evaluated.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

Karl I agree with Darren you should look into something like a small shop bot. There are probably many things you would be able to set it up for and let it go to work while you do something else. Not to mention the other extras like signs that you could add to your bus.

A couple years ago a guy near me closed up shop and had a dedicated dovetailer. It was the one machine he really battled to sell.

I would think of more flexibility than that if i were you prepared to spend any dollars on a machine.
    cheers

thats alot of bird work karl,, and with your other machines and tables i am surprised that yu dont have a dovetailer machine..bet it is on your list just havnt found one for the right price huh
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

What you are not doing them by hand
    Think how good you would be by now......

Looks like a LOT of work!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Carl,

Do you dovetail in the back of the drawer too? I always debate about what to do when I reach this step - I've done it both ways (dovetail vs. dado) but usually end up going the dado route in the unlikely event that I would someday need to replace a bottom.