Thread: Veritas New Inset Vice...?

Veritas New Inset Vice...?

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen this, I got the e-mail from Lee Valley Yesterday.....

I am going to build a new free standing workbench in the new year, and I really want to put a "Wagon Wheel Vice" into the bench, I saw this, and at $89.00 US (about 7500 yen which is CHEAP) I am really thinking that a couple of these would not be a bad way to go, to put some real versitility in the workbench.

The only thing that I see about it that I don't like is the handle sticking out of the end, it could get in the way, but then again, if I have a regular wagon wheel vice, that handle would be in the way too.

Thoughts?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    somebody posted something about it a day or two ago. My one thought is with that little handle it would be hard to get much clamping force. not like a regular WW vice.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

You are correct Don, but I don't think this is meant as a brute force type of vice
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

One draw back for me is I use my regular wood vise on the end with a dog in it for clamping long things flat on the bench. Then I use the regular jaws a lot too. With that you loose the vice. But I realize you are space challenged too.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

It does look neat but like Jeff said i have dogs in my vise to do the same thing so it is sort of redundent to put something like that in. How many vises do you need on a work bench anyways?
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

That looks like the best thing for those delicate items! I agree, I would rip more front pants pockets on that little handle sticking out than it is worth. But a quick thought, hollow out a square on the workbench top that this little vise would fit in the when needed, a hardwood dowel that slides in horizontally like a key so when tightened it didn't "pop up". Then remove when not needed and put in the wooden "plug" to fill the gap? Or use it in combination with a woodworker's vise and have it mounted on a 2x4 rail. Clamp the whole shebang in when needed, remove when not needed.
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 11-27-2010 at 06:00 AM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I agree with Jonathan. You sure could hide the handle so it does not become an obstruction.

Well Stu i have become such a Lee Valley fan what can i say but cool.

They really are quiet an amazing company.

I can see Jeffs point but i think there is room for this vice when you want to be more sensitive about the clamping force yet need to hold something with more delicate force. The big acme thread can easily very quickly apply a great deal of force or too little. I think this vice is real neat but again its one of these things where one has to consider what you gonna do in your shop.

You said new bench but where is it gonna go? How big you thinking full size or attached to Sawstop again?
    cheers

I've also been intrigued by this, and think something like that might be good if I ever build another bench. (no plans to do so yet) But I was just thinking about how you may have to be careful with the vac to clean it regularly, since it appears to be just an open cavity. I would think that shavings and sawdust would gradually pack in around the thread?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I've also been intrigued by this, and think something like that might be good if I ever build another bench. (no plans to do so yet) But I was just thinking about how you may have to be careful with the vac to clean it regularly, since it appears to be just an open cavity. I would think that shavings and sawdust would gradually pack in around the thread?
    Art, bet you could route an opening below the threads so the chips fall through.
    -Ned