Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi yall

Hi yall

I been here a few days, just now noticed the welcome and intro thread.

I live in middle Tennesse, about an hour South of Nashville. My dad was a hardwood floor finisher for about 50 years. He also worked as a trim and finish carpenter at times and had a small farm. I suppose, being around woodwork growing up, I absorbed at least some knowledge of working and finishing wood, but I never did woodworking as an occupation. I have always done what I call handywork around the house, shelves, boxes, stuff like that. My occupation is mostly in engineering. Over the last 40 years I have worked as electrician, electronics tech., draftsman, plant engineer, project engineer, engineering manager and presently a project manager.

For the last year I have been working to build a full wood shop in my basement. I have acquired most of the major tools I need and am building a nice heavy workbench. My bench is about 90% done.

I am also a part owner of a retail jewelry store where I design and manufacture some jewelry and do some of the jewelry repair work.

My most recent tool purchase was a mini lathe. I hope to do some custom pieces to sell in the jewelry store. Will probably start with wine bottle stoppers and pens and maybe work up to bowls.

Okay, that's probably more than you wanted to know about me, but it's good to know where someone is coming from sometimes.
    Last edited by Michael Harmon; 11-27-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Hey Michael, welcome....
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

North West Indiana
    Hi Micheal! Welcome to the family! Let's see, KaLea Thoits for jewelry, Vaughn for bowls, Mack Cameron for pens, Larry the ambassador, Tom the kitchen man, Don the picture sheriff, Rob is the sheriff's deputy, hmmm, that about sums up some, not all, oh, Toni carver extradinaire (sp?), Rennie newlywed and roadrunner, Chuck Thoits mug creator none better, Pete Simmons laser engraver best in the business my experience, here are the major players list. Listen up when they type!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Hi there: Welcome to the Family, delighted to have you here. Back when they discovered the wheel, I went to Vanderbilt, so I know your area. Beautiful.

Jump right in and post lots of pictures.....everybody loves pics!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Indianapolis area
    Welcome to the Family Michael!

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Welcome ,

Spent some time in Sewanee (Univ. Of the South).

For those not from TN. Sewanee is spelled correctly.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Michael!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    Welcome Michael,
    Sounds like a great shop, and never 'too much' info. (well, I Suppose there is a limit, but you were nowhere's close to it).

Plainwell, Michigan
    Welcome Michael Good to have you with us. I also have a basement shop so am looking forward to seeing yours for better ideas for mine

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Welcome Michael !!!
    Basement shop here as well. Looking forward to seeing how yours is set up.
    Faith, Hope & Charity