Hi yall

I been here a few days, just now noticed the welcome and intro thread.

I live in middle Tennesse, about an hour South of Nashville. My dad was a hardwood floor finisher for about 50 years. He also worked as a trim and finish carpenter at times and had a small farm. I suppose, being around woodwork growing up, I absorbed at least some knowledge of working and finishing wood, but I never did woodworking as an occupation. I have always done what I call handywork around the house, shelves, boxes, stuff like that. My occupation is mostly in engineering. Over the last 40 years I have worked as electrician, electronics tech., draftsman, plant engineer, project engineer, engineering manager and presently a project manager.

For the last year I have been working to build a full wood shop in my basement. I have acquired most of the major tools I need and am building a nice heavy workbench. My bench is about 90% done.

I am also a part owner of a retail jewelry store where I design and manufacture some jewelry and do some of the jewelry repair work.

My most recent tool purchase was a mini lathe. I hope to do some custom pieces to sell in the jewelry store. Will probably start with wine bottle stoppers and pens and maybe work up to bowls.

Okay, that's probably more than you wanted to know about me, but it's good to know where someone is coming from sometimes.

Last edited:
Hi Micheal! Welcome to the family! Let's see, KaLea Thoits for jewelry, Vaughn for bowls, Mack Cameron for pens, Larry the ambassador, Tom the kitchen man, Don the picture sheriff, Rob is the sheriff's deputy, hmmm, that about sums up some, not all, oh, Toni carver extradinaire (sp?), Rennie newlywed and roadrunner, Chuck Thoits mug creator none better, Pete Simmons laser engraver best in the business my experience, here are the major players list. Listen up when they type! :wave::thumb::D

Welcome ,

Spent some time in Sewanee (Univ. Of the South).

For those not from TN. Sewanee is spelled correctly.

welcome michael, but just a warning you really should refrain form getting to close to that mini lathe, they are very dangerous they cause a fatal attraction to green wood and round stuff:) and before you know it they grow into bigger ones or more than one.. flat work is safe none habit forming and better for you:D:D:rofl::thumb: