Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking Your Tools

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Marking Your Tools

Hi I'm wondering how everyone manages his/her tools.....

Do you put your name permanently or some other symbol on them?

If so, how? Plastic, metal, wood?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I have been using the "bury your head in the sand mentality". Treat it like backing up my computer. Have failed to do it.
    Good question and hope to hear some innovative ways to mark stuff, cause a theft isn't maybe, but more than likely, when. This day and age and economy, tools are big targets.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

On tools with serial numbers, I have a record of them, and I write my name down in one place obvious and another not so obvious, that usually requires removing a screw or two.

Anything with a wooden handle I burn my mark into.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I never loan tools and if burglarized successfully, I would not expect much in the way of recovery (DAMHIKT) so, I am probably too lax. I do have photos of large or expensive tools and have all the receipts and such filed in the fire safe for insurance purposes.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I layed all my hand tools out on a tarp and sprayed one side with "day glo" orange paint. Also I did the same with my garden and lawn tools. It sure makes them easier to find. The paint might wear off eventually but enough stays in the nooks and crannies to identify them.

As far as my bench and floor tools go, My shop is in my basement so I have them insured.

OBTW, I saw an episode of This Old House back in the day that was filmed, I think, on Nantucket Island, MA, USA. They had a female electrician on the show and she had painted all her tools Pink. She wore a pink tee shirt, for obvious reasons. Her rationale was that no testosterone infested male would dare use a pink tool. Cute

well i am in the same court as glenn, i do have the big stuff serial numbers and manuals stashed,, but when i got burglarized the only reason i was able to recover anything was because they caught the crooks quickly..as i was allowed to go threw the confiscated stuff i got a few things back but less than ten percent..while there i spotted some tools with a name on them and the officer then realized that this was also one of there cases..till then it would have been dismissed and turned over to the yearly auction..they dont take the time to look very hard..burglary does pay if you dont get caught..the pawn shops take stuff in and resell it for the crooks or there buddies, or we have ebay and craigs list.. once its outa your hands its gone cynthia, unfortunate but in my case very true....
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Nothing is marked, large or small.
    I do have the owners manuals with serial number for most of the big stuff purchased new.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I bought one of those 'vibratory engravers' one time and had plans to mark my name on all my tools, but, like others, have failed to do so...

I think I do have one or two tools marked and I'm always shocked when I see it.

I think I had engraved my SSN, but I'm not sure that's a recommended practice anymore.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engraver.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	51682

I use an old phone number including area code--gives a 10 digit number. Seems better than a 9 digit SSN. And it gives no personal info that could cause problems later.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Some tools that go out to job sites have my Drivers licence # engraved in them but most of the big tools I don't worry about as no one is going move them without one of my neighbors taking notice.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............