Marking Your Tools

I have been using the "bury your head in the sand mentality". Treat it like backing up my computer. Have failed to do it. :eek::(:doh:
Good question and hope to hear some innovative ways to mark stuff, cause a theft isn't maybe, but more than likely, when. This day and age and economy, tools are big targets.

On tools with serial numbers, I have a record of them, and I write my name down in one place obvious and another not so obvious, that usually requires removing a screw or two.

Anything with a wooden handle I burn my mark into.

I never loan tools and if burglarized successfully, I would not expect much in the way of recovery (DAMHIKT) so, I am probably too lax. I do have photos of large or expensive tools and have all the receipts and such filed in the fire safe for insurance purposes.

I layed all my hand tools out on a tarp and sprayed one side with "day glo" orange paint. Also I did the same with my garden and lawn tools. It sure makes them easier to find. The paint might wear off eventually but enough stays in the nooks and crannies to identify them.

As far as my bench and floor tools go, My shop is in my basement so I have them insured.

OBTW, I saw an episode of This Old House back in the day that was filmed, I think, on Nantucket Island, MA, USA. They had a female electrician on the show and she had painted all her tools Pink. She wore a pink tee shirt, for obvious reasons. Her rationale was that no testosterone infested male would dare use a pink tool. Cute

well i am in the same court as glenn, i do have the big stuff serial numbers and manuals stashed,, but when i got burglarized the only reason i was able to recover anything was because they caught the crooks quickly..as i was allowed to go threw the confiscated stuff i got a few things back but less than ten percent..while there i spotted some tools with a name on them and the officer then realized that this was also one of there cases..till then it would have been dismissed and turned over to the yearly auction..they dont take the time to look very hard..burglary does pay if you dont get caught..the pawn shops take stuff in and resell it for the crooks or there buddies, or we have ebay and craigs list.. once its outa your hands its gone cynthia, unfortunate but in my case very true....

I bought one of those 'vibratory engravers' one time and had plans to mark my name on all my tools, but, like others, have failed to do so...

I think I do have one or two tools marked and I'm always shocked when I see it.

I think I had engraved my SSN, but I'm not sure that's a recommended practice anymore.

engraver.jpg

I use an old phone number including area code--gives a 10 digit number. Seems better than a 9 digit SSN. And it gives no personal info that could cause problems later.

I went through a [thankfully short] period of stamping my initials on tools, and the year of getting them. I realized after a time that it didn't make sense. I keep a photographic record of just about every tool, and a spreadsheet with approximate value.

Not long ago I bought a used compass plane. It had "JW" stamped in it, my father's initials. I kind of like having that.

Occasionally, if I make a tool, or significantly re-work it, [an axe handle or my dovetail plane] I may stamp my initials on it and the year. Buts thats really just for vanity.

When I worked as a helper on a construction site all my tools were painted the color of my first car - a 70 Pontiac metallic turquoise blue/green.

When I worked in in a shop setting around "real" mechanics, all my tools were engraved with my initials using the same tool Brent pictured.

I have bought some tools on the Bay that had the original owners name stamped into them.

NONE of my hobbyist WW tools are marked in any way. I should borrow the engraver and get to work.

Cheers

Jim

I layed all my hand tools out on a tarp and sprayed one side with "day glo" orange paint. Also I did the same with my garden and lawn tools. It sure makes them easier to find. The paint might wear off eventually but enough stays in the nooks and crannies to identify them.

As far as my bench and floor tools go, My shop is in my basement so I have them insured.

OBTW, I saw an episode of This Old House back in the day that was filmed, I think, on Nantucket Island, MA, USA. They had a female electrician on the show and she had painted all her tools Pink. She wore a pink tee shirt, for obvious reasons. Her rationale was that no testosterone infested male would dare use a pink tool. Cute

You should not work on one of my job sites. All of my job tools are day glow orange.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

A cop friend of mine (who does woodworking) told me the best way to mark tools is with your driver's license number. He said the cops can check a driver's license number very easily and determine who the tools belong to. He said don't use your social security number.

As an aside, he told me that when they stop someone with a bunch of tools, they simply ask how the tools are used and listen to the explanation. Says it's an almost foolproof way of knowing if the tools belong to the person.

Mike

You can find my tools in abox full because... #1 Sharp pointy tools I usually drop on he concrete floor making distinguishable nicks and dull spots, These are mine.. #2 Many tools can be used as paint can openers so there is always globs of paint on mine... #3 Dull tools are alwaays a challenge so to make things more interesting, I store my planes piled on top of other tools and usually blade down on hard surfaces, that way I keep a nicked and rolled edge, even a scratched shoe to help identify. #4 Leaving them outside adds a loverly luster of orange to help identigy my favorites. #5 Neglect ofen helps to identify tthose tools that I often forget about having, Finally, Glue, I favorite identifyer, is excellant, globs can harden to customize the handles, and chipping squeezeout helps tto keep h edges worn.

And The Iron Top Tools are great for settin cold beers, The Orange rings make a most interesting pattern.

See, My tools are special and no one bothers them because they know they are mine and the better leave them alone... :thumb:

Last edited:
I have some marked with an engraver, but that was before I met my wife. She was an insurance agent once upon a time and she just started making me take pictures of everything so it could all be replaced with new tools when they got stolen or the shop destroyed. About once a year I go through the shop with the camera and video camera and get good shots of every drawer, cabinet, and machine. I have the serial numbers for most machines, but mostly for getting parts or dealing with warranties.

I have some marked with an engraver, but that was before I met my wife. She was an insurance agent once upon a time and she just started making me take pictures of everything so it could all be replaced with new tools when they got stolen or the shop destroyed. About once a year I go through the shop with the camera and video camera and get good shots of every drawer, cabinet, and machine. I have the serial numbers for most machines, but mostly for getting parts or dealing with warranties.

Pretty much the same with me Darren. Wife is in insurance and we have everything listed and pictures of the entire shop and house. Disc in the safety deposit box.

I'm not even sure what I own anymore.

A couple of days ago I was thinking I should make a list with replacement values. I think I've got $80k worth of insurance on the tools, but that might not be enough anymore if there was a complete and total loss from a fire/tornado/flood or the elusive and rare mid-western hurricane.