Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: they ain't gonna like me

they ain't gonna like me

I sure won't be the poster boy for our local Chamber of Commerce this year. I have finished all my Christmas shopping and did not spend a dime locally. All my shopping was done via the Internet, about 75% from Amazon.
    Not trying to be unkind to our local stores but I was able to find what I wanted, without the hassle of the crowds, without burning gas in the truck and, often, at better prices.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Don't feel bad Frank I am making all my chrsitmas gifts this year. Turned wood projects like candle holders and bowls etc.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Frank, you're in good company. We buy a lot of stuff online for both price and convenience. Most clothing comes from local stores because LOML loves the clearance racks. She gets most items at 75% to 90% off the original price.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

What did they call it on the news last night? Cyber monday that follows Black Friday. The day all the cyber shopping is done.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

LOML has an "I WILL be done shopping by Thanksgiving" policy in place, so Blank Friday, Local Retail Saturday and Cyber Monday don't play into our shopping program.

We do a mix of online and local shopping and actually went to an Estate Auction on Black Friday. The only thing I was interested was a steel Craftsman machinist tool box full of tools - it went for $150 which was too rich for my blood.

We did make a fairly big purchase at a local hobby shop instead of online, as they have been very helpful with the decision process along the way.

Jim

Shipping

People who do not want to shop online often mention shipping costs.

With gas close to $3/gal how far do they think they can drive before their travel costs equal or exceed typical shipping costs??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    People who do not want to shop online often mention shipping costs.

With gas close to $3/gal how far do they think they can drive before their travel costs equal or exceed typical shipping costs??
    Lot's of places will have free shipping several times during the year if you can be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    Lot's of places will have free shipping several times during the year if you can be patient.
    Yeppers, in most cases I consider shipping vs. gas costs as a wash.
    If I had bundled my Amazon purchases my shipping would have been free.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

My only comment is: When the local stores are no longer there, you'll know why. This is the reason we no longer have a Woodcraft Store in our area.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I do a lot of shopping on line... we live too far from anywhere to shop to just run to the store... the local town is just 6 miles away, but the only stores are two drug stores, a dollar store, an off brand grocery, a subway, piazza place, a beer and tobacco store, an auto parts store, two or three gas stations, two hardware stores and a handful of "art galleries" plus 3 or 4 restaurants...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.