Another Lignum vitae spokeshave

It surely did come out looking beautiful Toni. Could you describe how you made the mortise for the blade please.

I clamped the pice between two longer sticks of wood on my bench vice. Then I routed it with my hand held router and its fence. In order not to mess it up I checked several times and I put a stop on the front of the router and another one at the back.

Took a thou deep trial pass to check that everything was all right, took a deep breathe and did it. I used a spiral 10mm diameter bit.

Very nice work Toni. I love spokeshaves:thumb: and have it in mind to make both the LV kits soon. :)

With that kit you'll spare yourself making and tapping the holes for the depth controlling screws. It is not difficult, and you have the advantage that you can make a trial one on a not so precious wood until you get the shape you want.

That wood came out wonderful for just a buffing. What was your final grit of sandpaper before buffing?

240 dry paper, then 500 wet paper. Although I think that grit numbers here are different from US.
Then buffered with the brown paste and after with the white paste both from LeeValley.

Rob Keeble said:
Welcome to the family Tom we need all the neanders we can get. There are times when the spinny guys get out the vortex but not as often as we would like.:)

Thx Rob. I'm still newish to hand tools. I learned em all as a lad put was more interested in the loud tools. I've since come full circle and am striving to acquire and become efficient with all the hand tools I can!

Not sure how I missed this thread. Funny thing is I was sitting here looking at Shop Notes 14/84 and it had an article of making a spokeshave. I was thinking that I'd like to make one some day. Great job Toni, very beautiful! :thumb:

...I was sitting here looking at Shop Notes 14/84 and it had an article of making a spokeshave. I was thinking that I'd like to make one some day. Great job Toni, very beautiful! :thumb:

Interestingly, I just (last week) ordered a Lee Valley kit for their large shave, and it arrived on Wednesday. Now, all I've gotta do is find the time...

You can make it in one morning, Jim, a day at most if you put a brass pad on it. Overal it does take less time than one would think. I look forward to see yours.

You can make it in one morning, Jim, a day at most if you put a brass pad on it. Overal it does take less time than one would think. I look forward to see yours.

Yeah, I was surprised. It took several hours, most of which was in cutting and fitting the brass sole. I tried it out before inletting the brass, and was tempted to just quit there and settle for the wooden sol like nearly all the old ones had. Maybe on the next one I'll leave the brass off.

If you do that with your next one check the hardness and wear resistance of the wood you'll use, my first one hadn't a brass sole, and although made of lignum vitae as well it did wore out pretty soon, and I had to rework it as the thickness of the shavings was increasing due to the increase of the throat gap. That's why on this second one I put the brass sole.