Unusual Turning Request

Ted Calver

Staff member
Had a request from a friend engaged in an unusual craft. Cherry 16" high and 12" wide. Can you guess what it is??

Attachments

• DSC05460-c (Medium).jpg
    DSC05460-c (Medium).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC05462 (Medium).JPG
    DSC05462 (Medium).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 81
Ken nailed it. It's a Sinking (Dishing) Stump used to mold plate armour for Japanese and Medieval costumes. I thought the dish was a bit deep, but that's the way it was spec'd. The friend is a hobby jeweler who expanded his metal working into creating reproduction armour.

Wow! Seems huge for that sort of thing, but what do I know (Answer = nothing on ancient armory).

What I do know is the wood is exceptional looking, and the quality of the turning is great as well! :thumb:

Larry, I think that piece had done all the checking it was going to do. It was a short log that has been baking in the sun with no protection for three years. I saturated the dish part with thin CA and even put some thick CA in the small pith crack that was showing. I think Oak would be a better choice, but didn't have any on hand. This is essentially an anvil. If it starts to check he will just pour in some 5 minute epoxy and keep hammering.

That's pretty cool Ted... My son makes chain mail, but not the plate armor... he has a full set of armor that he actually used to wear at some of the festivals he attends, but since he's gotten married (spelled FAT), he can't get into it any more... he still can wear his chain mail though.

I had a guy at a show a couple of years back ask if I could make a falconing roost for his hawks... I actually had to look them up to see what they looked like... gave him a price, but he's never come back... guess I was too high...

That's a pretty piece of turning though... great color to the wood.

Just looked up dishing stumps on the interwebs. I have a feeling that one is far too good looking for the amount of abuse it is soon going to take! :eek: :eek: