View Poll Results: Do you enter drawings for tools on the internet?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. And I actively look for new contests.

2 3.51%
  • Yes. But only when I see one, or hear about one from others.

40 70.18%
  • No. I don't have time for this nonsense.

4 7.02%
  • No. And I don't like taking polls either.

5 8.77%
  • Yes I read the rules.

15 26.32%
  • No, I don't ever read rules. Don't read owner's manuals either.

4 7.02%
  • Rules??? These things have rules???

3 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been meaning to do this thread for a while... Part deux

Hybrid View

I've been meaning to do this thread for a while... Part deux

Ok, messed up the first try when I wanted to go back and read what I had written. It didn't like that and posted what I had going sans the poll. So let's try this again.

...and Chuck's thread that he "shouldn't" tell us about the LV giveaway from Highland Woodworking finally got me to do it.

So curious first: A poll: How many of you enter tool contests? If you do, do you read the rules to see how often you can enter? I'll start entering the different contests I know about in a little while. Let's see what kind of interest this draws. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 11-28-2010 at 02:31 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I am pretty careful about providing info that I know is being funneled directly into a machine designed to part me from my money. However, if the potential prize is attractive and the rules are clear enough about how my information will be used, I go for it.
    Be excellent to each other. - Rufus

Endevour to persevere.
    -Lone Watie, quoting the Secretary of the Interior

Thought I should go ahead and vote in my own thread. I said I actively look for contests. That may be a little misleading. Once every 3 to 4 weeks, I'll look at one of the sites that usually runs a contest to see if they have a new one. Found several yesterday that were new to me.
    And I do skim over the rules. I want to see how many times I can enter in a given time frame. Most are once per day, or one time for the contest. But did you know the Highland Woodworking contest is once every 3 minutes???? That was a first for me to see. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I am pretty careful about providing info that I know is being funneled directly into a machine designed to part me from my money. However, if the potential prize is attractive and the rules are clear enough about how my information will be used, I go for it.

Same here.
    So Mote It Be

Me too. That's why I prefer to use your e-mail address on the sketchy contests.

Seriously, I create unique e-mail addresses for nearly everything I sign up for on the web. It makes an easy way to see who's sharing my address with spammers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

living in Cabrils, a small town 20Km. away from Barcelona, Spain
    No, Once I entered on a drawing for a sawstop to find out later that only US residents were allowed to enter.
    Now I check that first.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I am pretty careful about providing info that I know is being funneled directly into a machine
    Exactly. And email addresses are just the tiny tip of the iceberg. The amount of data corporations keep on us makes the gubmint seem like small potatoes. And it all goes into that great big data warehouse in the sky, gets sold around between companies, and gets mined for all sorts of things most of us couldn't begin to imagine.

In this case, they get your name, your IP address, your physical address, your preferences, even what kind of computer you're using. It all goes into the demographics, and by the time they're done, these companies know more about us than we know about ourselves. Do you really think they'd offer prizes worth an entire shop just to build an email address list?

Read the rules again, but this time, look for what they do with the data. The honest ones will say something like "we do share data, so we can better serve you." The less honest ones won't even mention what they do. The correct translation of "All entries become property of XYZ company" is "We don't give a darn what you think..."

Thanks,

Bill

Ummmm, 10 month old thread guys...

... and I still haven't won that Sawstop!
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I do believe we have a poll with no end date here!!!!!!!!
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Poll is closed. Feel free to still comment though....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash