I've been meaning to do this thread for a while... Part deux

Do you enter drawings for tools on the internet?

• Total voters

Jim O'Dell

Ok, messed up the first try when I wanted to go back and read what I had written. It didn't like that and posted what I had going sans the poll. :doh:So let's try this again.

...and Chuck's thread that he "shouldn't" tell us about the LV giveaway from Highland Woodworking finally got me to do it. :thumb:

So curious first: A poll: How many of you enter tool contests? If you do, do you read the rules to see how often you can enter? I'll start entering the different contests I know about in a little while. Let's see what kind of interest this draws. Jim.

Last edited:
I am pretty careful about providing info that I know is being funneled directly into a machine designed to part me from my money. However, if the potential prize is attractive and the rules are clear enough about how my information will be used, I go for it.

Thought I should go ahead and vote in my own thread.:D I said I actively look for contests. That may be a little misleading. Once every 3 to 4 weeks, I'll look at one of the sites that usually runs a contest to see if they have a new one. Found several yesterday that were new to me.
And I do skim over the rules. I want to see how many times I can enter in a given time frame. Most are once per day, or one time for the contest. But did you know the Highland Woodworking contest is once every 3 minutes???? That was a first for me to see. Jim.

I rarely enter them, but I'm also pragmatic about the rules etc... marketing happens, if a company gets obnoxious about spamming me, I will request removal from their lists. Most of the woodworking vendors while agressive in their email marketing, are selling things I want to get 'deals on', so I don't mind their campaigns.

case in point, I stopped at Rockler today for the first time, they only have one brick and mortar store in NY, and I happened to be in Buffalo. Picked up a few pen kits for holiday gifts. Nice store, but I'm not driving 2.5 hrs one way often to see it... I get email from that store several times a month, and have for several years. I can ignore their sales with ease since I live so far away. If I need something from them, the website works well for my needs.

Well, let me list a few of the contests that I "play" with each day.
HGTV Pro
ToolSeeker
Wood Magazine has several, one for Rockler Bench Dog products, one for Bostich Cordless tools, and the other one for Freud bits and blades.
Popular Woodworking has 2: $10,000 workshop makeover, and the Dremel Trio giveaway-6 winners
DIY has a Cool Tools giveaway with Polaris and Stanley products.
And of course the Highland Hardware Lie Nielsen
giveaway that Chuck told us about.
And I think that is about it. I do enter the Natural Handyman at times. They don't have much going on right now. I did win a hat from them!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Most of the magazine ones are on for a few months, then they bring another one out. All of theirs have an opt in/out for information to be sent to you...I always opt out.
Anyone know of any others? I always hope someone from the few forums I'm on will win some of these. Jim.

I am pretty careful about providing info that I know is being funneled directly into a machine designed to part me from my money. However, if the potential prize is attractive and the rules are clear enough about how my information will be used, I go for it.

Me too. That's why I prefer to use your e-mail address on the sketchy contests. :rofl:

Seriously, I create unique e-mail addresses for nearly everything I sign up for on the web. It makes an easy way to see who's sharing my address with spammers.

I will occasionally enter but same as Toni i check rules first.

But i have never ever believed i would ever gain much for nothing. So seldom bother with contests or the lotto or scratch cards or sports bets.
In my narrow view the resource it takes is better applied elsewhere.

Like Vaughn i use loads of disposable email addresses.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I use another E-mail account specically for contests and the like. What is amazing is that there must be a huge market for E-mail lists, because that ghost account I use is the one that gets hot with all of the spam, Nigerian E-mails, and the like. Just be forewarned that if you put info on the web, the entire world has or can get access to it

It's really funny how many E-mails I received at an address spamdeleted@(domain).com

I haven't entered a contest in quite a while since I have no shop. Besides that I pretty well have most of the tools I need:eek::eek::eek: well almost.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/18-X-47-Wood-Lathe/G0698

I really like the sawstop & would accept one if I won it but I am not looking to purchase one. Push sticks & grippers are good safety devices. I prefer grippers & push pads that hook on to the back edge & extend up over the item being cut. With push sticks that just hook on the back edge I always fear the material being flung up & away from the back edge of the blade even with a splitter.

Last edited:
I am pretty careful about providing info that I know is being funneled directly into a machine

Exactly. And email addresses are just the tiny tip of the iceberg. The amount of data corporations keep on us makes the gubmint seem like small potatoes. And it all goes into that great big data warehouse in the sky, gets sold around between companies, and gets mined for all sorts of things most of us couldn't begin to imagine.

In this case, they get your name, your IP address, your physical address, your preferences, even what kind of computer you're using. It all goes into the demographics, and by the time they're done, these companies know more about us than we know about ourselves. Do you really think they'd offer prizes worth an entire shop just to build an email address list? ;)

Read the rules again, but this time, look for what they do with the data. The honest ones will say something like "we do share data, so we can better serve you." The less honest ones won't even mention what they do. The correct translation of "All entries become property of XYZ company" is "We don't give a darn what you think..." ;)

Thanks,

Bill