Thread: 8/4 basswood needed

8/4 basswood needed

Anyone recommend a good source for 8/4 basswood. I need to glue up several turning blanks 6"x6"x12". Could substitute poplar since the final turning will be painted or stained with aniline dyes. I don't have much of a source here, so I'm looking for an online source. Any help appreciated.

Jerry

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    One of my wood sypliers has it but I don't know if they ship. Timber woodworking in Mesa AZ
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

would help jerry if we knew where yu were in your profile??? could be neighbors but am not sure with no city and state
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have no idea what a fair price is on it, but woodworkerssource has it listed on their website in 4/4, 8/4, and 16/4 thicknesses.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/Basswood.html

I haven't ordered from them before, but they had good review in finewoodworking I think. They've never struck me as having good prices, but it looks convenient.

Rockler has it. Any stores near you
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Taylor View Post
    I have no idea what a fair price is on it, but woodworkerssource has it listed on their website in 4/4, 8/4, and 16/4 thicknesses.

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/Basswood.html

I haven't ordered from them before, but they had good review in finewoodworking I think. They've never struck me as having good prices, but it looks convenient.

woodworkers source is the highest price in town.
    I been to two of their stores. Tempe and Tucson.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I bought some from here:
    http://www.heineckewood.com/index.htm
    It is clear, almost pure white and perfect carving hardness, beautiful stuff.
    Do not expect to be cheap.

Where are you?
    I have more than a dozen basswood 4"X4" by about 5' long pieces I will give you. Sat outdoors, pure junk IMHO. I wasted my money. But you can have for free.
    For my intended project I switched to maple.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Yeah I figured they were high looking at their other wood prices I'm familiar with. They've only ever struck me as being worthwhile if you need small quantities and live a ways from anywhere to buy it.

Where you at? I have a couple hundred board feet just sitting around. Could surely part with some of it. Don't want to mess with shipping though.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Thanks for posting everyone. I had already checked woodworkers source and they were too high, especially with shipping. It turns out that a small pine furniture shop here in town had some poplar and I got a full 2"x12"x96" slab for $36.00! Just a little over $2.00 b/f. Not bad. Gonna surface and laminate it up tonite!
    Jerry